Battlefield 3 - Lag Spikes!

GrantMePeace

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am playing BF3 on high settings and it looks great. However, I keep getting "lag spikes" for want of a better word.

Whilst playing every 20 seconds or so there will be a very quick freeze, sometimes 2 two or three in succession. I think it happens when I run and when I am turning corners. I don't think its due to my internet connection as my ping is now around 80 when I am using the Ethernet Cable. My FPS is always above 45 as well.

Here are specs:

CPU: i5-2400 3.10GHz (its at 70%-80% utilization whilst playing, nothing else running except chrome).
RAM: 8GB
Grpahics: HD 7850

Whilst BF3 is running I sometimes switch windows to my browser and the mouse lags like something very heavy is running. I am worried this might be a CPU bottleneck? What CPUs are others playing with?

I don't know whats wrong and I would really appreciate any advice on trouble shooting.

I also play Crysis 2 on Ultra settings and no problems there.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
The i5 is very powerful but 3.1 is a little slow of an i5. I doubt it is a CPU bottleneck though, just in case I would try overclocking a little bit if you can and see if anything changes.
Also download Afterburner or HW Monitor and check your GPU usage, GPU temp, and CPU temp and post them back here.

antonisrsx

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Are you serious? this cpu can handle EASY any game out there!

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Relax, I know. I was just sayin relative to other i5s. 3.1 seemed on the slower end of the spectrum. Most of them are closer to high 3ghz (or maybe not on sandy). Anyway I know it can handle any game but its still worth a try to OC.

GrantMePeace

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply.

This is what HW Monitor shows whilst playing BF3.

1jtaq8.png

I am starting to think this is an internet connection issue as last night I played after 11pm which isn't peak time and it was smooth playing for 2 hours. I did play around with changing some game settings that could of been it. After restart those settings were lost, so going to test again tonight.

What I don't understand is why would lag effect my gameplay? I mean with Crysis if I get a high ping the graphics is still smooth but my shots/bullets will be off which is understandable but it doesn't effect my actual game play.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Well lag does some curious things in bf3.

I would try putting settings at bare minimum and if it's still laggy and weird then it's most likely your internet. If not then it sounds like a CPU issue.
Do you have Skyrim? And if so how does that run? As it is a very CPU intense game.