GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Possibly someone switched the SilentFan II with V7+ fan that just has a temp sensor hanging out the side.

Or the site you saw it at was just mis-labeled. Beware that may be a ploy to get you to buy it and you find out after you've opened the shipping package (and void the warenty) that they sent you an over-priced V7/7+

GearJammer
<i><font color=blue>It takes 10 'Attaboys' to make up for 1 'Awww...crap!'</font color=blue></i>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
dude, the Volcano 9 comes in one version - and one only. Anyone advertising the Volcano 9 as "Volcano 9 silent" is just advertising the fact that the fan it comes with (SmartFan 2) has a rpm controller on it, so that you can choose how fast the fan is going, and therefore the noise emitting from it (but the temperature of your CPU is affected as well, don't forget). basically , its the same thing, and whoever is selling it for the cheapest is where you should grab it from

<b>"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"<b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The "silent" version has a temperature responsive fan that slows down at lower temperatures and speeds up when things get hot.

Only problem with the concept is that slowing down the fan lets things get hot so you end up listening to it anyway.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
what do you mean? the normal version does that, even in tom's review of the hsf he talks about a sensor adaptor that you place under the cpu so the fan can do it, it's the same fan

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Did you read the rest of my post?

Also, check the website... there are at least two versions of the V9... one has a bunch of lights in the fan... truly weird.

The problem remains... slow down the fan and things heat up, causing the fan to spin faster... you end up listening to it anyway.

AND... I really would not suggest trying to thread wires between the CPU and heatskink, it could tilt the chip causing a failure in the thermal conductivity between the heatsink and cpu. It could also cause bad connections between cpu pins and socket points. If you gotta put the sensor someplace, put it in the center channel where the spring clip is.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

svol

Champion
Also, check the website... there are at least two versions of the V9... one has a bunch of lights in the fan... truly weird.

You don't want a disco inside your case so all your hardware can dance on the beat of your music? :lol:

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

TRENDING THREADS