Public Safety Takes a Back Seat to Profit

Last response: in Video Games
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 8:50:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.impeach.bush,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys (More info?)

Maybe it's time Bush and the redumblicans stop trying to get the nation
behind his social security program that less than 40% are in favor of and
actually address security at home.

Corporate Profit vs. Public Safety

Published: June 20, 2005
One of the first steps any sane person would take to guard against terrorism
is to stop rail tankers filled with deadly chemicals from passing within a
few blocks of the Capitol. If a rail tanker was attacked in downtown
Washington, it could put every member of Congress - and much of the rest of
the city - at risk of instant death. But the railroad industry, concerned
with saving money, has blocked reasonable rules for the transport of
extremely hazardous materials. Senator Joseph Biden, Democrat of Delaware,
has just introduced a bill to fix this disturbing hole in our national
defense. Every member of the Senate and House should be supporting it.

One of the deadliest terrorist scenarios the Department of Homeland Security
has come up with is an attack on a 90-ton rail tanker filled with chlorine.
As many as 100,000 people could be killed or injured in less than 30
minutes. The simplest way of reducing the risk is banning rail tankers with
deadly materials from areas that are likely terrorist targets. The
Washington City Council recently did just that, banning hazardous materials
from being transported within 2.2 miles of the Capitol without special
permission. But CSX, the railroad giant, got a federal court to block the
law from taking effect.

Other cities are considering following Washington's lead, as well they
should. But city-by-city legislation will not solve this problem. The
railroads will argue, as CSX did in its suit against Washington, that city
governments do not have the authority to regulate them. And in any case,
defending the country from a terrorist attack on hazardous materials
requires a single national strategy, coordinated by the Department of
Homeland Security.

Senator Biden's bill, though not perfect, would go a long way toward making
the nation safer. It would require the Department of Homeland Security to
develop a list of extremely hazardous materials, and to designate
"high-threat corridors" that because of dense population, strategic
importance or other factors are particularly likely to be terrorist targets.
In most cases, railroads would be required to reroute shipments containing
extremely hazardous materials along safer paths.

The bill contains other common-sense provisions. It would require that
governors, mayors and emergency responders be notified when hazardous
materials are shipped through high-threat corridors. And it would give
states and local governments standing to sue companies that put lives in
danger by violating the law.

President Bush was re-elected on a pledge to do everything he could to keep
the nation safe, but again and again, his administration has put corporate
interests ahead of national security. Notably, the president has failed to
push for a strong law to reduce the risk of terrorist attacks on chemical
plants, which the chemical industry has strongly opposed. And when CSX sued
Washington to block its ban on hazardous materials, the administration
joined in on the railroad's behalf, arguing that the city did not have the
authority to block the shipments.

The Bush administration indicated last week that it now supports passage of
strong chemical plant safety legislation. That will be a welcome shift in
policy, if the administration sticks to its word. But if it favors chemical
plant safety rules, it should also back Mr. Biden's bill. There is little
point in reducing the risk at chemical plants if the same chemicals become
easy targets once they are put in rail tanks and shipped through populated
areas.

An Insecure Nation: Editorials in this series remain online at
nytimes.com/insecurenation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/20/opinion/opinionspecia...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 8:50:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.impeach.bush,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys (More info?)

Hi "U Are With Us Or Against Us".

STILL a partisan, liEberal-biased, propaganda-spewing ANONYMOUS pussy,
eh?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 20, 2005 9:44:04 PM

Pope TardSmack I, RSPW's TRUE and ONLY Pope wrote:
> Hi "U Are With Us Or Against Us".
>

> STILL a partisan, liEberal-biased, propaganda-spewing ANONYMOUS pussy,
> eh?

You are a broken record.

Ryan
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2005 2:23:08 AM

"Pope TardSmack I, RSPW's TRUE and ONLY Pope" <titanic@marcocable.com> wrote
in message news:1119301523.763555.122020@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> STILL a partisan, liEberal-biased, propaganda-spewing ANONYMOUS pussy,
> eh?

I take it "Pope TardSmack I, RSPW's TRUE and ONLY Pope" is what appears on
your birth certificate?

-Jeff
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2005 7:07:23 AM

DarkSheer wrote:
> Pope TardSmack I, RSPW's TRUE and ONLY Pope wrote:
>> Hi "U Are With Us Or Against Us".
>>

>> STILL a partisan, liEberal-biased, propaganda-spewing ANONYMOUS
>> pussy, eh?
>
> You are a broken record.

And you're entirely defeating the purpose of me killfiling that pussy,
too.

--
Dave Zero

"And I don't care about making an ass out of myself because most people
already realize I am one." - Dr. Kary B. Mullis

"I criticize by creation" - Cicero

"I'm not here to make people happy. I prefer to piss people off." - Liam
Gallagher
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2005 3:53:15 PM

Dave Zero wrote:
> DarkSheer wrote:
>> Pope TardSmack I, RSPW's TRUE and ONLY Pope wrote:
>>> Hi "U Are With Us Or Against Us".
>>>

>>> STILL a partisan, liEberal-biased, propaganda-spewing ANONYMOUS
>>> pussy, eh?
>>
>> You are a broken record.
>
> And you're entirely defeating the purpose of me killfiling that pussy,
> too.

Good, we all have to listen then.

Ryan
!