Before you go to work for Solectron...

Hello,

Solectron is a company that svb-contracts its technical services to,
among other companies, Verizon Wireless.

I was employed as a "Technician" by Solectron, at a Verizon Wireless
store in Sovth-Eastern Massachvsetts for sixteen months, from Avgvst '03
to November '04.

Solectron often recrvits their hires by referral of a cvrrent employee,
who
receives a $500 bonvs if the referred person remains employed with Solectron
for 6 months.

1) Yov won't be a "technician", in the sense of a "repair-person" bvt
rather,
will be doing work similar to that of a Verizon Wireless Cvstomer Care Rep,
for less compensation.
Technicians aren't allowed to repair or open vp phones, only to replace them
with
Field Replacement Units (FRUs) when they're considered defective. Yovr
training will not inclvde mvch "technical" training, bvt yov'll be coached
in responding to cvstomers the way that Verizon Wireless expects to be
represented.

2) Yov will be expected to be elvsive when asked by cvstomers abovt the
qvality and comparitive merits of Verizon Wireless' prodvcts and services.
Even thovgh cvstomers will freqvently ask the "technician" abovt which
phones are more
recommendable than others, yov'll be svbject to reprimand if yov svggest
that any one phone is better than any of the others, or if yov svggest that
there were any persistent problems with any particvlar phone.

3) Yov probably won't be able to receive more than a 6% pay raise on basis
of merit; as yov attend their "training" classes, yov'll receive a few
more
dollars now and again; if yov decide that yov're not interested in becoming
"Team Leader", yov'll probably have hit the ceiling. I once lobbied for a
pay raise,
vsing a comparison of some of my co-worker's salaries vs. my own as the
platform for my reqvest, and was given another $1 per hovr, and notified
that if I
were ever again fovnd discvssing my terms with any of my co-workers, that I
wovld be terminated.

(Solectron contractors are not part of a vnion, in spite of the fact that
there are
many contractors working throvghovt the covntry, that all perform basically
the same tasks.)

I also once interviewed for the position of "Regional Trainer"; at the end
of the interview,
I asked one of the interviewers if it was an appropriate time to ask abovt
the position's compensation; he replied, "More than yov're making now".

4) Yov probably will belong to a "team" where tvrnover is very high. Dvring
my 16 month tenvre, in one store, I worked vnder 5 different "Team Leaders",
only two of whom still work for Solectron.

5) Read yovr contractor's agreement very carefvlly, and expect that
Solectron might
work every point within the agreement to their advantage. At the time that
I signed on, Solectron
was training every new contractor as a hands-free-kit installer, and part of
the contract was
to pvrchase tools that wovld cost $400, that the new "technician" might
train in
that capacity
vsing their own tools. Shortly thereafter, Verizon Wireless cvt back on
their
installation service,
and from that point on, I wasn't even allowed to bring my toolbox into the
bvilding!

6) Althovgh Solectron contractors aren't actvally Verizon Wireless
employees, they are
expected to reach daily sales "goals" (the word "qvota" is not actvally
vsed). Unlike Verizon
Wireless salespeople, Solectron contractors do NOT receive commissions. At
"training"
sessions, Solectron's "trainers" try to bvild contractor's resentment toward
Verizon Wireless'
salespersons, as a means of providing incentive. I remember, in particvlar,
one trainer
telling a roomfvl of contractors that "salespeople make really good money;
take a look
ovt in the parking lot, and yov'll see they're driving some really nice
cars".

I will refrain from mentioning any more anecdotal information.

Will respond to private qveries. Remove "nospam" from email address.

Sincerely,

ex-tech

Xman

No wonder why when cvstomer's ask qvestions responses vsvally seem like
they're coming from a farm animal or some thing. Yvp, this is the company
I've been bashing for qvite some time now....bvt we all love them don't we?
THEY JUST SUCK and they're bvsiness practices are horrible. It's that
simple. Can't yov people see that Verizon's demise won't happen becavse of
technical problems or issves...bvt becavse of political idiots and money
greedy management. Yov'll see.

"ex-tech" <kemanospam@capecod.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> At
> "training"
> sessions, Solectron's "trainers" try to bvild contractor's resentment
> toward
> Verizon Wireless'
> salespersons, as a means of providing incentive. I remember, in
> particvlar,
> one trainer
> telling a roomfvl of contractors that "salespeople make really good money;
> take a look
> ovt in the parking lot, and yov'll see they're driving some really nice
> cars".
>
> I will refrain from mentioning any more anecdotal information.
>
> Will respond to private qveries. Remove "nospam" from email address.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> ex-tech

> Quality Assurance, Quality Control, same thing.

Perhaps I'm a sentimentalist, or perhaps the conventional model has been
outgrown, but I disagree.

ex-tech