• Dimension
  • Dell
Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2003 12:14:24 PM

How can i overclock my Dell Dimension 4300
1.7Ghz?

More about : overclock dell dimension 4300

February 28, 2003 1:17:33 PM

You can't overclock a Dell, the motherboards have a special proprietary locked bios, which sucks. <b>No overclocking for you</b>

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 28, 2003 2:39:22 PM

What do u mean by that.
By the way do u have any idea wat is the fastest processor my mobo can take. it is 478 pin 845 chipset
Related resources
March 1, 2003 12:13:05 AM

i'm saying this, <b>YOU CANT OVERCLOCK</b>
you have the worst chipset by intel, the i845, using slow sdram. You can upgrade to any 400Mhz fsb processor, but it doesn't matter, your system sucks, and will suck, using Sdram with a pentium 4/celeron. Get a whole new system, yours is trash

March 2, 2003 2:22:20 AM

Dude ,dont you think thats kinda harsh,telling him the truth like that!

system spec or witty quote , still thinking.....
March 2, 2003 4:37:43 AM

yeah, but he was dumb enough to buy a Dell, with a <b>CELERON</b> in the first place, his fault

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2003 3:57:58 AM

You CAN overclock a Dell, I even wrote an article which was available on my website! Unfortunately I no longer have a website :frown:

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2003 4:02:00 AM

Well, if your board supports a "533" bus, you can overclock on it by busting pins on the CPU, but since your 1.7 won't go that far, you're stuck. If you board supports only "400MHz" bus processors, you can most likely go up to a 2.6GHz. "533MHz" bus processors perform better, you'll have to ask Dell if you board supports them. But since the Dudes at Dell don't speak computer lingo, you might have to ask them if it supports a P4 2.53 (which is a "533MHz" bus processor).

March 6, 2003 5:21:16 AM

dude tell me about it - a <i>stupid</i> friend of mine decided she wanted a computer (one of these "first computer" types) and she asks me to price her somethin nice, you know, nothin over the budget n sh*t so i figure whatever, $900 canadian dollar i can put somethin good together, make a nice profit. thing is, its gotta be shipped to her (about 300km) - not far but in case it needed servicing, well, she didn't want to have to deal with it herself and me on the phone talkin her through it so decided to pick up a Dell - big f*cking mistake... oh well, she paid $1,100 for a piece of sh*t system with - this is my favorite part *wink*wink*, "Intel Extreme Graphics" - in other words onboard 32mb worse than a TNT2, heh. Guess what - its been 3 weeks since she got it, and look whose callin ME tonight about it... goes to show. And besides, who the f*ck in their right mind buys a Pentium 4 - much less a Celeron for more than an AMD... thats the problem now-a-days, ppl see Intel P4 and they think its quality and speed, meanwhile she's got a 1.7 Celeron with <b>128 mb SDRAM(!!what a surprise!!) AND WinXP</b> - like thats gonna work alright... man, thats the problem like i said, ppl see a good price and name-brand components but they don't know their asses from their heads about computers and when u say "well, you want them-styles of specs it'll cost ya $200 more" you lose 'em to these chain-stores and Dells and Gateways... bah. Thanks for the ranting n raving subject, felt good :) 

<b>"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"<b>
March 7, 2003 4:31:41 AM

Thanks Alot Crashman.
By the way my system is a 400MHZ FSB. And mine is a Pentium 1.7Ghz not celeron. I am really intersted on how i would be able to overclock a Dell.
By the way if I put a faster processor in a slow mobo, will i fry anything?
I was thinking of buying a 2.6Ghz for my old mobo if not 2.4 will do.
i don't think there is much performance gain from 1.7 to 2.0
March 7, 2003 4:37:15 AM

to the dodo - not all 1.7Ghz are celerons
by the way wat system u own to make u talk like tat.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2003 5:05:02 AM

Well, to tell you the truth, you could probably get a small performance gain by changing from your 1.7GHz Willimette core (256k Cache) P4 to a 1.6GHz Northwood core (512k Cache) P4. The 1.7 is a fairly worthless processor for performance freaks.

Is you board even Socket 478? It seems to me that most of these were Socket 423 and not even compatable with Northwoods unless you buy an expensive adapter. You should look into it.

March 7, 2003 10:42:38 AM

Thanks for replying just to save the trouble i just u details
mine is a p4 1.7Ghz wif 256 L2 cache. Thanks goodness it is a 478pin. My chipset happens to be intel 845 wif 400mhz fsb
what i really want to know is wat max processor can i add to the system. will it be able to support up till 2.4ghz with 400mhz L2 512 processor
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2003 4:35:50 PM

Yes, it can support the 2.4/400 as long as it's Socket 478 like you say.

March 18, 2006 4:19:08 PM

Hey yall.. sorry, I was looking over the post as a friend of mine was using it for reference to an overclocking question. First off, a Celeron isnt what you want if your a gamer ..for sure. However, a Celeron is NOT... by ANY means a POS. Its simply not designed for crossplatforming applications and heavy multitasking.

Im using a 2.0ghz Celeron in my box now. Been in here since I built it almost 2 years ago (mind you its overclocked to 2.6ghz and has been since day one) now .. granted.. I dont get to play around with hyperthreading and have nill for L2 cache but... Ive got plenty of power with 2 gb of 2700 DDR and a System Bus of 519 mhz... So.. I hate to hurt anyones feelings but.. this has stood the test of time in my opinion. A Celeron is just fine.

By the way, as Crashman stated there above (and to add just a bit to it) you can upgrade to a 3.6.. as long as its a 478.. and keep looking on your overclocking question.. because it can be done.
March 19, 2006 3:19:05 AM

Dude,I do not have the expertise that the others here appear to have,but I have worked on a few Dells in my time. They are cheap boxes for the most part,and you would be better off to go to NewEgg.com and pick up a socket 939 MB,AMD64,and a gig of dual channel ram. All can be had for less than $400. You would have to get another power supply as well,but I think they will fit in a Dell case. Dont know about the Mb however. But for $500 or less you could have a system that will o/c 25/35% out of the box. You could add expensive video later if on a budget. This system will truly multitask-i.e. burn a disk while you......well do most anything else. They cook for sure. Check out the Opterons-overclockers wet dream.
March 19, 2006 3:44:14 AM

Quote:
Dude,I do not have the expertise that the others here appear to have,but I have worked on a few Dells in my time. They are cheap boxes for the most part,and you would be better off to go to NewEgg.com and pick up a socket 939 MB,AMD64,and a gig of dual channel ram. All can be had for less than $400. You would have to get another power supply as well,but I think they will fit in a Dell case. Dont know about the Mb however. But for $500 or less you could have a system that will o/c 25/35% out of the box. You could add expensive video later if on a budget. This system will truly multitask-i.e. burn a disk while you......well do most anything else. They cook for sure. Check out the Opterons-overclockers wet dream.

How old of a Dell are we talking. Cause my 8400 has 100% name brand parts. Honestly this Dell bashing is just pointless. In the past Dell may have just put crap togeather, that is not the case anylonger. I have had my 8400 refurb for 18 months and not one problem. My computer lab has some older Dells and they still run fantastic. Guess your one of the people that thinks just because it does not have an AMD in it its crap.

Another point is not everyone here can go out and buy new stuff. He was asking what new CPU he could put in his old system to get some more life out of it. If he had wanted to buy a new system he would have asked for suggestions. Next time people offer some help, not just "Your non AMD/old/Intel/dell system sucks!" That is just pointless.
March 19, 2006 4:10:22 AM

Sir I was only suggesting one of many options that he could explore. My option puts him in the ballpark when it comes to the near future. The socket 939 will keep him happy for a few years. I am happy for you that you love your Dell,but I have not owned a name brand system for many years,and could not imagine buying one. I have used both Intel and AMD,and both have had their hey day,but currently and in the forseeable future,AMD is the overclocking,performance king of the hill.
March 19, 2006 4:22:25 AM

Ok fanboy. Sure AMD is good. King of the Hill, we shall have to see how the new Conroe puts out. Now I am sure AMD has some other CPU to regain the lead, but thats just business. I like alot of people do not want to spend the time and effort and risk to buy something cheap and overclock the crap out of it. I would rather spend a nice sum on something and not have to screw with it to get it to work. Same reason I am not into messing with cars, no time, dont want to waste money just so I can say "hey look what i did." I need no such ego boost. Honestly on these forumns I could say I had a top of the line system, hell I am sure most people do some fibbing with thier system. I tell the honest truth. Sure he could get something that will last a few more years for 500 bucks. But maybe he dosent have 500 bucks. Maybe, just maybe he is not a "Hardcore" computer guy who just wirtes papers and sends email. These people do exist. Not everyone wants or needs a super high end computer. I have sold computers for almost 13 years. People buy for the brand mostly, not for what they will do with it. 5 years ago I sold a 5000 dollar sony set up to a guy that just wanted it to check stocks and send email. He wanted a sony "Cause its the best" and went with the most expenisve one we had. I could have sold him a 400 dollar clerance one and he would not have known the difference performance wise for what he was doing.
March 19, 2006 9:57:30 AM

Dells are perfectly acceptable for about 70-80% of the computing population, at least on the PC market. They come preloaded, 100% legal software load, everything under warantee to be replaced by a tech, and generaly are quiet and perform well enough to use most office applications on.

Can you build a mid grade to high grade system cheaper? probably. Can you build a low grade system cheaper? Perhaps, but probably not by much. Will the entire software load be 100% legal and licenced if you do it yourself?... I thought so.
March 19, 2006 1:31:42 PM

Quote:
Dells are perfectly acceptable for about 70-80% of the computing population, at least on the PC market. They come preloaded, 100% legal software load, everything under warantee to be replaced by a tech, and generaly are quiet and perform well enough to use most office applications on.

Can you build a mid grade to high grade system cheaper? probably. Can you build a low grade system cheaper? Perhaps, but probably not by much. Will the entire software load be 100% legal and licenced if you do it yourself?... I thought so.

Bront makes a few good points here. The 100% legal software is a big issue. I have seen several times when people here are asking for advice, no one ever mentions and OS in the build. If someone puts it down in thier build they are mocked and asked "Dont you have a version lying around?" Just because it is rather easy to use a "free" version of windows does not mean that people really want to. This goes for other "software" as well. Sure some programs are upwards of 800 bucks, but theft is still theft however you look at it. The waranty the prebuild computers have are a good feature. People that do not know or are afraid to work on thier own systems will find alot of value from them. I would best that most of you would not purchase a car if it was just put togeather by someone from misc parts, and that had no waranty.