Sign in with
Your question

How to LOCK a PIII?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2003 3:24:26 AM

I have an Engineering sample PIII with no multiplier lock. I need to install it on a board that has no multiplier adjustment and defaults the CPU to it's lowest multiplier! How do I lock the thing so it runs at it's proper multiple?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

More about : lock piii

March 1, 2003 10:46:03 AM

Hmmm. Put it in a mobo that doesn't support multiplyers above a certain amount??? Thus locking it to the mobos highest setting, which is hopefully low enough?

Lame, I know, but all a can think of.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2003 6:28:05 PM

I DO have boards that support manual multiplier adjustment, this CPU supports everything from 3x to 8x. The problem is, it's NOT in the system that NEEDS a CPU! The system that needs a CPU is a Gateway Essentials, with an MSI motherboard that has NO multiplier adjustment and defaults it to 4x. These boards are 1 slot shorter than mATX, they'll take an even shorter Flex board, but that's not a cost efficient option.

Related resources
March 2, 2003 11:30:04 AM

Uhm... aren't these CPUs unlocked within the core?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
March 2, 2003 2:45:44 PM

Not engineering sample pentiums

"Apple is more like the French army. They have great style and class, they often get praised for their valor, and they do everything except win."-<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Ed Stroligo</A>
March 2, 2003 2:51:26 PM

Yes yes... I was just stating that he would have to do some micro surgery inside the core to lock the CPU again.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
March 2, 2003 3:37:09 PM

Sorry, I just woke up when I looked at your post, I thought you said locked, not unlocked.... My bad :) 

"Apple is more like the French army. They have great style and class, they often get praised for their valor, and they do everything except win."-<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Ed Stroligo</A>
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2003 9:26:05 PM

I think they are all "born" unlocked and are locked after testing by blowing circuits.

March 3, 2003 1:35:06 PM

The only question is... where are those circuits?
Are they something like the bridges on the Athlon... well they're not on the outside so they must be inside the CPU core. You got the equipment to change that?
But it could also be regulated by the data paths inside the PCB around the core... but you need a lot of CPU comparising to figure out if there is any difference.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2003 4:58:15 PM

Well, there are a few golden dots on the bottom of the chip package, don't know what they are for! Also, I know the Pentium 1 used pins to set the multiplier, Intel would cut the signal to certain pins on later "locked" versions, so I was hoping that might lead me somewhere.

March 7, 2003 7:38:48 AM

Crash - toally off topic :o ) but would you happen to know if a 1.0G/100 FCPGA2 Celeron (256K cache) will run at 1.3G/133 happily on a Tualatin board? Seems like a good upgrade at about $40 from my current 700E@933

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
March 7, 2003 12:52:01 PM

Well I can try to see what the pin setting is on my P3 700Mhz... but you will need more CPU examples to get the right coding.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2003 4:15:49 PM

Yes, the 1.0 Tualatin Celeron will usually run at 1333MHz (or more) without any trouble whatsoever. And it will give you better performance than a stock 1.4 Celeron at 1.4.

The 1.1's will usually run at 1466MHz (or higher) as well. It's when you get to the 1.2@1.6 that things start to get difficult.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2003 4:44:39 PM

Ah, forget it, I had a change of plans.

!