Unlimited wireless internet express 19.99

>Yep, got it a week or so ago.
>

>> Looks like Cingular finally has unlimited wireless internet express for
>> 19.99.
>>
>> Anyone jump on this yet?

Has anyone tethered a laptop to their phone for access. What kind of speed are
you getting?

I tethered my test phone (Nokia 6200) to my laptop this morning on AT&T WS GPRS
system and the connection manager reported 230k speed.

Impressive.

--
John S.

Do you this that GPRS is good enough for Internet access at home? I only
do email, Instant Messaging and some surfing at home.

Do you feel that GPRS is faster than dial up?

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message news:<20040420113030.14650.00000155@mb-m23.aol.com>...
> >Yep, got it a week or so ago.
> >

> >> Looks like Cingular finally has unlimited wireless internet express for
> >> 19.99.
> >>
> >> Anyone jump on this yet?
>
> Has anyone tethered a laptop to their phone for access. What kind of speed are
> you getting?
>
> I tethered my test phone (Nokia 6200) to my laptop this morning on AT&T WS GPRS
> system and the connection manager reported 230k speed.

You seem to consistantly get better results than most of us when
reporting you cellular connection speeds. If you are simply reporting
what "connection manager" shows, I don't think that's accurate for
wireless, as it generally reports speed based on the connection
"handshaking" between modems, which, AFAIK, doesn't have a parallel in
wireless.

You might want to try a speed test on a website such as
www.toast.net/performance or CNet. I don't think 230k is even
theoretically possible on ATTWS' system.

> Impressive.

It would be if true, but I have a hard time believing it's possible.

elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote
> > I tethered my test phone (Nokia 6200) to my laptop this morning on AT&T WS GPRS
> > system and the connection manager reported 230k speed.
> You seem to consistantly get better results than most of us when
> reporting you cellular connection speeds.

The Nokia 6200 is an EDGE phone and ATTWS has deployed EDGE. It's
likely the 230k is EDGE, not GPRS.

The store rep who signed me up says the $20WIX is NOT for tethering.
Not sure what prevents you from doing it, unless they restrict your
access to the isp.cingular APN (my phone is using wap.cingular).

tg.

>You might want to try a speed test on a website such as
>www.toast.net/performance or CNet. I don't think 230k is even
>theoretically possible on ATTWS' system.

I did just now. The results are -

Merlin G100 Air Card (PC CARD) reports a connection of 57.6. The Toast net jpeg
of 414k reported 43k download speed.

Nokia 6820 tethered with a USB Cable reports a 230.4k connection, The toast net
download of the same jpeg reported 65k.

>> Impressive.
>
>It would be if true, but I have a hard time believing it's possible.

For sitting in a hotel, that is far better than the hotels dial up and although
not quite what the computer reports, still makes me happy.

--
John S.

"tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message

> The store rep who signed me up says the $20WIX is NOT for tethering.
> Not sure what prevents you from doing it, unless they restrict your
> access to the isp.cingular APN (my phone is using wap.cingular).

Nothing prevents it from being tethered, and it works flawlessly. Perhaps
what he meant was "we don't want you to tether and use a ton of bandwidth"
lol.

So what kind of useable speed can you expect with Cingular GPRS tethered to
laptop?

"tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote
> > > I tethered my test phone (Nokia 6200) to my laptop this morning on
AT&T WS GPRS
> > > system and the connection manager reported 230k speed.
> > You seem to consistantly get better results than most of us when
> > reporting you cellular connection speeds.
>
> The Nokia 6200 is an EDGE phone and ATTWS has deployed EDGE. It's
> likely the 230k is EDGE, not GPRS.
>
> The store rep who signed me up says the $20WIX is NOT for tethering.
> Not sure what prevents you from doing it, unless they restrict your
> access to the isp.cingular APN (my phone is using wap.cingular).
>
> tg.

>So what kind of useable speed can you expect with Cingular GPRS tethered to
>laptop?

I got 64k the other night doing a test as suggested by one of the other
posters. This was with a 6200 tethered to my laptop with a cable.

It was also on AT&T WS, not Cingular.

--
John S.

TRENDING THREADS