Overclocking on a P4PE...

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I'm running a 1.8a P4 on my P4PE and whenever I OC the chip over 2000, my onboard sound disables. It's a documented problem on Asus's site, but I was wondering if any of you P4PE owners out there have found a solution to this besides installing a dedicated sound card. Thanks!

Yay, I'm a freakin' noob.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
i just bought one (p4pe) two days ago + a p4 2.4 and i'm now running at 2.61 ghz (145fsb) i didn't really have any sound problems i have the p4pe version without sata and without raid, the only time i don't have sound is in 3dmark2001 but maybe its disabled or something i don't know...I'm new at this, i did however read some articles on overclockin g the 1.8 and they all stated that it can be run at 18*133fsb without a problem?????? do you have 400 fsb model or 533fsb model

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

svol

Champion
In the benchmark it is normal to have no sound... so it doesn't affect the framerate.

Anyway as for the problem... maybe increasing the I/O Voltage a little may help.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
A guy I work with has the P4PE and has his 2.4GHz OC'd to 3.06 and it's running sweetly. I'm sure he's not using the onboard audio though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're doing something wrong. Maybe overclocks between 2000 and 2399 are disabling sound, but an overclock to 2400 should work fine. In fact it has to. Why? Because 2400 on a 1.8A uses the same settings as 2400 on a 2.4B. Since the audio works with a 2.4B, it has to work with the 1.8A at 2.4B, unless you set the PCI divider wrong or somthing.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

JoeMusician

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I've just built a machine around a P4PE, and I really love this mobo. The overclocking features are thorough yet easy to use. I am running a Celeron 2.0 at 3.0 GHz, and I'm thrilled. I've had no trouble with the sound; though I have added an SBLive card, because the mobo sound has very long latency, not good for music composition.

G

I got an ASUS P4PE, I overclock and I use a SB live card. The onboard sound is okay but did not sound as good as the ole SB live. I noticed the Post speech thing stopped working after several boots. I tried resetting the Bios but speech thing seems to have died.

<font color=red>"If your cpu does not smoke, call a real overclocker."</font color=red> :lol: