Help with my pc

ddfree

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
well I want to build my own gaming pc,but I don't know if all the pieces are good enough,also I don't know if all will work together correctly.if you want to make any correction fell free to do it.here are the specs

phantom case Orange/black full tower

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ocz tecnology 700 power supply

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K

16 ram vengeance (8x2)

Western digital 2 tera internall hard drive

blue ray disk player combo lightscribe

gtx 670 graphic card

thanks for any help.

ddfree

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Which of the processors i5 do you recommend?

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

This depends on the cores. USUALLY, i7 processors are quad core, and i5 is dual core. But you also get dual core i7 and quad core i5. So it depends what you're working with. Also, the i7 cores are designed to handle more load, in terms of multi-tasking and high end gaming, so they are better to run with to a significant extent. :)

Rammy

Honorable

None of that makes any sense.
Most i5s and i7s are quad cores, at least any Sandy/Ivy Bridge that you might buy today (with a few exceptions, namely that mobile i5s are duals)
Other than a few older i7m versions, there are no dual core i7s.
i7s+i3s have Hyperthreading where i5s usually don't.

What is important is predominantly instructions per cycle followed by the clock speed for gaming, and not the number of cores (virtual or otherwise).
What it all means is that unless games start using more than 4 cores (most use 2 at best) there will be little difference between an i5 and i7 for gaming, unless ofc the price difference gives you more money to spend on things that will boost performance.

On topic, only get a K-series processor if you want to overclock (either now or in the future) or you are just throwing money away. If you do plan to overclock, you'll need to look at getting a proper CPU cooler to assist as well.
3570K is the best i5 currently available, after that it's just a case of slightly different clock speeds and prices. Any 3*** i5 will perform similarly at stock speeds.

Get a 3570K. Desktop i5s second and third generation are all quad core and i7s are quad with hyperthreading, i3 are dual core with hyper threading. Hyper threading has almost no benefit for gaming and sometimes performs worse (only by 1-2 FPs).

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Like others said, get the 3570k instead of the i7. For a CPU cooler I'd go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for around $25. This will let you hit 4.2Ghz easy.

Don't get 16GB of RAM, it's not needed. You only need 8GB. I wouldn't go higher than 1600mhz either, no noticeable performance gain.

As others have mentioned, there are better power supplies, such as Corsair(except their builder series), Antec, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII.

Do you plan on watching blu-ray movies on the PC? If not, then there is no need for a Blu Ray drive. A simple $17 DVD drive will do.

Graphics card is good, but AMD may be a better buy. Be sure to look at benchmarks for the games you plan on playing and see which cards run them better, and base your purchase off of that.

sitbar

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Go with the i5 3570k <---- Best gaming cpu, i7s are really a waste for gaming, unless you are playing really cpu intensive games like skyrim.

Go with 8 gb ram, 1600 mhz. Games don't even use all 8gb. 1600mhz is perfect, anything higher, you wont notice.

Go with the msi geforce gtx 670, has probably the best performance and cooling. And overclocks a ton since you can also over volt it.

You don't need a 700w psu, if ur just using what I said ^ a 550w is fine. Even with the current setup, a 550-600 is fine.

Yea, ask me if you have questions.

ddfree

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
well ,I changed the processor for the i5 3750k, the blue ray player for a DVD player, also the power supply for a corsair.i plan to buy the pieces in a month.

Thanks everyone