Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with popup blocker

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 28, 2010 5:02:51 AM

I am having issues with a popup blocker that I can't find. I need to access a web application for work through Internet Explorer (I've tried Internet Explorer 8 and 9). This program worked fine on Monday. On Tuesday when i tried to login, it told me that the web app requires all popup blockers to be disabled. Needless to say, I can't login now...it also blocks popups on all other sites without any prompts or anything.

I have checked ALL settings in IE, the Group Policy, and the Registry to no avail. I have tried resetting all settings in IE to defaults. I have no additional toolbars installed and I have run numerous virus/spyware scans with no detections of any viruses. The web app does work on other PCs, however, does not work on other user accounts on the same computer.

My first thought was that I have a rogue adblock program installed at some point. However I did not install anything between the time that it worked and did not work. My next step is trying to repair windows from the windows disk tomorrow morning. My system is running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.

I am desperate for help on this one, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

More about : popup blocker

October 28, 2010 7:48:39 AM

Have you or can you try another browser to login to it like firefox?
October 28, 2010 2:00:34 PM

Firefox works, but the functionality of the program is very limited in Firefox as it was, unfortunately, programmed only for IE. Sad, I know.
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2010 2:19:32 PM

I assume you've turned off the IE pop-up blocker?

Try adding that website as a trusted site, and make sure the security settings are lower for trusted sites.

You can check the windows update history, to see if you had an update around that time. If that's the case, use the restore points to roll back to before that update.
October 28, 2010 2:44:12 PM

Yes, popup blocker is disabled in the IE settings, in the registry, as well as the group policy. The site is in the trusted zone with low security. There hasn't been any windows updates installed on my machine since October 13th...until yesterday when I installed a bunch hoping that it would fix it.

Unfortunately, system restore was disabled because of the group policy.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2010 2:57:56 PM

Try accessing the site in safe mode with networking.

Short of reinstalling IE, and running malware scans, I'm not sure what else to recommend.

Here's a guide to reinstalling IE.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

I don't know what kind or method of malware scans you did, but if you didn't do them in safe mode, they aren't reliable. In that case, try running through the malware guide in my signature.

Best of luck!

October 28, 2010 6:03:11 PM

I just ran the "upgrade" process from the Windows 7 CD to "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 7. This seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks, everyone, for your replies and ideas.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2010 6:14:57 PM

Thanks for the update. :) 
!