OCing MSI 655 OCZ PC3500???

Mac88

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hi guys,

I need your help to understand ... the rookie wants to learn ;)
At the end, I got my configuration:
MSI 655 Max FISR
P4 2.53 GHz/533 FSB
HSF ThermalTake Volcano 7+
1GB OCZ PC3500 EL dual-channel DDR433 CAS2
NVidia Quadro 980XGL 128M AGP8X
Maxtor ATA133 120GB
Windows XP Pro SP1
All the last drivers and bios (Mobo, AGP, NVidia...)

The config is very nice and works very well - I tried to play with OC but I met pbs (compared to Anandtech results for exanple http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1781&p=4)...
1. Question - how to know exactly the CAs latency (more than CAS2, 2.5 ... I don't find the information in SiSoft...)
2. The Normal config, no OC, works with OCZ en CAS2, stable but DRAM timing set at Fast maximum (unstable over)
3. I tried the OC of the P4 with FSB at 150 (so 2.8GHz):
- CAS2 doesn't work- I cannot go farther than the boot sequence
- CAS2.5 works but the SpecViewPerf 7 block on 3DSmax test and DRV 08 (didn't try further 'cause reboot each time...)
4. Any other try over FSB 150 (like 158, 160, 164, 165), with any CPU/DRAM ratio (to bring the DRAM speed at different level between 200 and 225 max) - does not work - no boot
5. The MSI software that allow to change the FSB speed directly from Windows XP just block with any change - so it doesn't work

so I would like to have your experience to see what I'm doing wrong to not have any OCing working... Or is my config not able to overclock ??? I'll be a bit disappointed...
Thanks for any help

<i><b><font color=green>When I think to know a lot of things, I begin to understand that I still have even more to learn...</font color=green></b></i> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, it could be another OCZ problem

Try setting your memory to a slower clock speed, like "333MHz", which is actually a DDR number for a clock rate of 166MHz. Then take another go at it.

Also, you might need to raise your core voltage to get a reasonable overclock.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Mac88

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
I just tried to put up the core voltage - I forgot to look at that ... I put it at 1.6 (The MSI only allow up to 1.625) but the computer seems to feel lighter ;) - I have to try the OCZ en CAS2, as for now I put it back to 2.5.
Tx for the advice - if I really need, I'll put down to 333 the OCZ (or maybe up to 467 .. a multiplier of 133)

<i><b><font color=green>When I think to know a lot of things, I begin to understand that I still have even more to learn...</font color=green></b></i> :wink: