How to OC P4 2.5?

Mac88

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hi,

I need your help to understand ... the rookie wants to learn ;)
At the end, I got this configuration:
MSI 655 Max FISR
P4 2.53 GHz/533 FSB
HSF ThermalTake Volcano 7+
1GB OCZ PC3500 EL dual-channel DDR433 CAS2
NVidia Quadro 980XGL 128M AGP8X
Maxtor ATA133 120GB
Windows XP Pro SP1
All the last drivers and bios (Mobo, AGP, NVidia...)

The config is very nice (really need to use it as an entry workstation) and works very well - I tried to play with OC but I met pbs (compared to Anandtech results for example http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1781&p=4)...
1. Question - how to know exactly the CAs latency (more than CAS2, 2.5 ... I don't find the information in SiSoft...)
2. The Normal config, no OC, works with OCZ in CAS2, stable but DRAM timing set at Fast maximum (unstable over)
3. I tried the OC of the P4 with FSB at 150 (so 2.8GHz):
- CAS2 doesn't work- I cannot go farther than the boot sequence
- CAS2.5 works but the SpecViewPerf 7 block on 3DSmax test and DRV 08 (didn't try further 'cause reboot each time...)
4. Any other try over FSB 150 (like 158, 160, 164, 165), with any CPU/DRAM ratio (to bring the DRAM speed at different level between 200 and 225 max) - does not work - no boot
5. The MSI software that allow to change the FSB speed directly from Windows XP just block with any change - so it doesn't work

so I would like to have your experience to see what I'm doing wrong (do I need to put up the VCore ? Already at 1.5 and I read that the Mobo doesn't like over 1.54...) to not have any OCing working... Temp are ok with the HSF, I ma between 29C and 32C. Is my config not able to overclock ??? I'll be a bit disappointed...
Thanks for any help

<i><b><font color=green>When I think to know a lot of things, I begin to understand that I still have even more to learn...</font color=green></b></i> :wink:

svol

Champion
Wow... that memory should support 150MHz CAS 2 with no problem (it is 216 MHz memory). I'm starting to wonder if you got a bad stick of memory.

Anyway for all other memory timings... they should be on the manufactuers website.

What powersupply do you have btw? It laso could be that you're running out of power for faster speeds.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Mac88

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
I'm not sure to understand the 150 .. I was talking about the P4 - which was hard to clock at 150 (*19 = 2.8GHz) with the dual DDR set a 200MHz with CAS2 - but right now, I got the advice on the Mobo forum ;) I put up the VCore (was 1.5 .. now I put it at 1.625) and works, for now, fine at 2.8GHz and 200 MHz for the dual DDR - I still have to run some tests but at least I can boot... I'll try a little bit more after...

<i><b><font color=green>When I think to know a lot of things, I begin to understand that I still have even more to learn...</font color=green></b></i> :wink:

svol

Champion
You tried 150 MHz FSB with CAS 2 and that didn't work. But your memory should work on that speed. So I concluded that there was something wrong with the memory.

Good to hear you solved the problem.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
really strange i got an asus p4pe last friday with corsair ddr400 and a p4 2.4 and i can let i run at fsb150 and 2-2-2-6t timing in ddr400 mode no problem (maybe it gets a little bit to hot with the stock intel cooler but anyway...)

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

TRENDING THREADS