after battery change: still 162 system options not set

dear cpq gurus,
i installed a nvidia vga card to an 'old' deskpro ex 1.0 ghz. after the
first reboot i got: 162 system options not set. i changed the battery and
still have this message. what should i do next. upgrade the bios ???
thanx alot
tim
3 answers Last reply
More about after battery change system options

    Do you set the system options? The 162 error is telling you that the CMOS
    settings are corrupt, i.e. they have changed in such a way that they need to be
    set again... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:26:51 +0200, "Tim Moor" <tim.moor@nospam.com> wrote:

    >dear cpq gurus,
    >i installed a nvidia vga card to an 'old' deskpro ex 1.0 ghz. after the
    >first reboot i got: 162 system options not set. i changed the battery and
    >still have this message. what should i do next. upgrade the bios ???
    >thanx alot
    >tim

  2. i have the solutions.. i have encountered same problem.. but luckily i solved it with patient :)
    after message 162 system options not set appears.. i let it run for about 15 minutes and it sets by it own.. and lastly it boots up.. but you need a RomPaq to update your bios need to create a boot diskette if you changed your original hard drive coz need to reconfigure the boot hardrive... or else it wont boot from HD.
  3. Even after battery change, if the 162 error occurs, it means ur BIOS settings are not the same as it was when shipped. reasons could me a hardware change from the original like extra hard disk or RAM. In my case, it was when i upgraded my hard disk. I found that the custid in BIOS was blank and I simply filled it with a series of 1s (11111111111111111) and saved the BIOS with this detail. It worked like magic and also worked again in one more HP system that i had which too i upgraded. Hope this helps for people like me.

    -a.

Compaq Battery Computers