New computer, would like some opinions

ike2010

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Hello all. First post here. I've just purchased the components for my new computer and wanted to get some input on how to tweak it a little. I have very little OC experience (have bumped up my current machine ever so slightly), and want to know what adjustments/settings I should use when I build this thing. I'm not buying any hardcore liquid cooling devices or using any special drive coolers, etc. Basically, I just wanted to know what you would do if you were building a computer with the parts listed below. Thanks for any input. System specs:

Mobo: Soltek 75FRN-L "Golden Flame" w/ 8x AGP 333/266/200 FSB
RAM: 512 MB Kingston PC-2700
CPU: AMD 2400 /266 ATHLON XP TBRED
Graphics Card: ABIT Siluro GF4 TI4200 w/ 8x AGP
CPU Fan: VOLCANO 7

rahvyn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hi ike;

I am currently running the AMD 2400 at 12.5 with 179 FSB. It runs very stable at this speed. Your best bet for O/C is to start upping the FSB or Multiplier bit by bit. Monitor your temps, and stability. When you start to lose stability, back it down a bit and run that speed for awhile.

Rahvyn

ike2010

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks for the comment Rahvyn. One more question for you. At those settings, will a Volcano 7 be enough to cool the CPU? Also, should I purchase a heat spreader for my RAM to run at that speed? Thanks.

svol

Champion
The Volcano 7 (if you have the full copper version) is very good. I think that you can hit 166MHz (333 DDR) FSB with a little luck, you don't need a heatspreader for the RAM for that.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
You didn't mention what case you were using? Make sure you get a top of the line case, one that will stay cool and well ventilated during overclocks. Case temps can really make a difference in the performance of the OCed system.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Hi,
If you are planning to do some hardcore overclocking, I would go with a Volcano 9. Also, you didn't mention what Volcano you are using, the 7 or 7+. And as for the case, make sure you have a fan or two, in the front of the case taking in air, and have a fan or two for exhaust. I got an Antec 1080 AMG case and it has great cooling.

svol

Champion
To be honest the Volcano 9 sucks with hardcore overclocking... only the Siftech MCX-462, Thermalright SLK 800/900 and Volcano 7+/11 and a couple of less known HSF are used with hardcore overclocking.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

kimbahpnam

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
yea, for best air cooling, stick w/ SLK 800 or 900. those things will keep anything cool.....and get a nice fan..Delta would push the most CFM, but at the cost of loudness.