Sign in with
Your question

I cant start a new game on fallout 3(windows 8)

Last response: in Video Games
November 12, 2012 11:32:31 PM

I just got fallout 3 game of the year edition for my laptop and its windows 8. I have been looking around the internet for someway to fix this problem but it seems as though nobody knows what to do. If you have a fix or any information then please tell me.
Anonymous
November 29, 2012 3:02:08 PM

Bad Nothing said:
I just got fallout 3 game of the year edition for my laptop and its windows 8. I have been looking around the internet for someway to fix this problem but it seems as though nobody knows what to do. If you have a fix or any information then please tell me.

Same here! im on windows 8 pro and i thought i will install my favourite game. when i click play an error pops up saying

"the ordinal 5359 could not be located
c:\program files(x86)\bethesda softworks\fallout 3\fallout.exe"

ive tried compatibility modes in xp and vista but nothing. tried to update by i got the same error when it tries to replace the fallout3.exe.

so i presume the problem is the compatibility of the exe file
December 9, 2012 6:12:29 PM

same problem here. its really stressing me out
Related resources
December 9, 2012 6:17:46 PM

Windows 8 does not support some games even if they are newer. Don't even think about getting old games on win 8. I hope some PRO will come here and correct me/explain more about it ... :) 
December 9, 2012 6:51:35 PM

windows 8 does support old games. I have a couple of em running perfectly
December 9, 2012 6:55:12 PM

Quote:
Same here! im on windows 8 pro and i thought i will install my favourite game. when i click play an error pops up saying

"the ordinal 5359 could not be located
c:\program files(x86)\bethesda softworks\fallout 3\fallout.exe"

ive tried compatibility modes in xp and vista but nothing. tried to update by i got the same error when it tries to replace the fallout3.exe.

so i presume the problem is the compatibility of the exe file

actually I don't think so. I think there's supposed to be a fallout3.exe.dll file, but I can't find it anywhere so thats whats probably causing the error
December 30, 2012 4:43:32 PM

What a load of bull$h!t that you cant play old games on W8, plays like a charm. Anyway, you got error "the ordinal 5359 could not be located" because you do not have games for windows live installed, or old version maybe, so download a new one, install and you are all set! the link "http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/PC/DownloadClient"
January 10, 2013 10:40:50 PM

qWantUS said:
What a load of bull$h!t that you cant play old games on W8, plays like a charm. Anyway, you got error "the ordinal 5359 could not be located" because you do not have games for windows live installed, or old version maybe, so download a new one, install and you are all set! the link "http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/PC/DownloadClient"

I downloaded and installed the Games for Windows Live client today and it still crashes every time I try to start a new game. I don't get an error code either, just "program stopped responding, looking for a solution." And then a crash back to the desktop or Steam.

Purchased / installed through Steam, if that makes a difference. Also tried running Fallout 3 as an administrator, and in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP SP3 compatibility modes. None of those things worked.

Really bummed about this. $20 wasted.
January 10, 2013 11:37:56 PM

Why didnt u just buy fallout 3 GOTY for christmas on Steam? It was like $5. My Fallout 3 works perfectly on Windows 8, not sure your problem. Also realize that the steam page for Fallout 3 says "Not optimized for Windows 7" so....
March 1, 2013 12:56:52 AM

People please stop misinforming the OP, Windows 8 pretty much supports anything on windows 7 and before. Do some research before you say something like that. Just download http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/PC/DownloadClient and fallout will run fine.
March 6, 2013 12:32:47 AM

Bad Nothing said:

What i did is installed the base game on 1.0 then when i updated for 1.7 i run that on compatibility for xp service pk 3 and it worked for me
April 12, 2013 1:26:54 PM

no that does nothing
April 20, 2013 9:18:17 AM

http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/84694...

that's work perfeclty for me and believe me I thought after trying multiple things that it would never work !

the D3D9 thing should be 104 ko heavy and the compatibility for vista sp1, are the things that really no so much people know about....

good luck !
August 20, 2013 1:46:37 PM

I have tried everything to play fallout 3 and nothing worked until I found swift shader. The downfall of it is it puts a logo on the bottom of the screen its fairly big but if you weight the difference between unplayable and playable it's tolerable.Perhaps if you buy it the logo will go away but I only just found it a few minutes ago now the beginning of fallout 3 was choppy and took a bit to get through,however once your character is made and your in the game, it seems to work fine.Without further ado here is the link to the demo http://transgaming.com/swiftshader I have played it for only a few minutes before posting this I have been trying to play fallout 3 ever since it came out I even bought this new computer. I suspect I Can't play because my video card is incompatible. I have run into very few games that are unplayable.I am running windows 8 64 bit but it did the same thing on win xp cause I made a dual boot just for this game, and it still refused to run until today. I hope you like and enjoy.
P.S.
Supposedly this one simple file can be used for any game that your video card doesn't meet the specs for, also the 64 bit dll didn't work I had to use the x86 and its simple you just copy the dll into the main folder of the game and play no complicated setup or anything.
November 7, 2013 7:27:33 PM

I have no f@cking clue what a microsoft x-box account is doing on my computer; but it is sending me around in circles for weeks as i try and get f@cking Fallout 3 GOTY working. I cannot remember what facking e-mail I used for x-live sh@te, nor what password to open the account; because Windows 8.1 SCREWED UP ENTIRELY AND I HAD TO RE-INSTALL FROM SCRATCH SO lost all my accoutns and details.; I have so many. But the codes it posts will not work and the f@ck f@ck f@ck microshi@te

二課と角井理知とか基地もいにいひぃすコナン手に書く地も二祖すら虎墓リラ吉良ら身にかる

Its the last game I ever buy with a Microsoft logo on it.

STEAM Games work fine.

Origin games work fine.

Nicro@sh@te games are a stinking blood-sucking headache.

I do hope this is clear to any Microsoft pukes out there...

`STUFF YOUR VERIFICATION PROCEDURE UP YOUR GUT WITH A RUSTY SPADE`.

And quit telling me that Google Chrome will not open Microsoft direct links.
December 6, 2013 10:54:38 PM

you have to download games for windows live for it to work. i had this problem and it went away after i installed it on my windows 8.1
January 23, 2014 5:29:53 PM

qWantUS said:

jkrules22 said:
People please stop misinforming the OP, Windows 8 pretty much supports anything on windows 7 and before. Do some research before you say something like that. Just download http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/PC/DownloadClient and fallout will run fine.

January 23, 2014 5:30:38 PM

yes your right as soon as i loaded live it worked fine :) 
March 9, 2014 5:12:18 PM

After trying everything I finally found a way to play fallout 3. Swifshader 32 bit works but its slow and has a logo on the screen I tried a couple files from another game I am curious if this will work for others I suspect the reason I couldn't play was becasue my video card was incompatible when I added these 2 .dll files to the main directory of the game it made the game think I was using a compatible video card here is a link you can download it from You will need a torrent down loader to get this utorrent or bit torrent both are free if after trying everything and you still can't play the game even if your video card specs are as good or better then you may have the same issue as me an incompatible video card and I am pretty sure you can solve it with these files.
March 16, 2014 6:44:29 AM

Bad Nothing said:

Install the Games for Windows client

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/downloadclient
March 26, 2014 11:16:24 AM

KibSr said:
http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=...
this saved my ass, (try step 7)

This worked wonders for me! For two days I fought with it to start working. It would start loading and then a small screen would pop up telling me that Fallout 3 was having problems and it was "checking for solutions." It woud then promptly tell me there were no solutions and my only option was to close the program.
I followed step 7 and now there are no problems what so ever.
Thank you :) 
!