What are the current best methods of streaming games in clear HD?

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I want to stream myself playing some PC games over a website like ustream, livestream, own3d.tv, twitch.tv, and the such...

My problem is every piece of software (and website) i have tried to actually encode the stream has been crap. I tried procaster, xsplit, and a super involved way using some adobe live thing paired with something called VHScreenCap.

The stream is always really low quality and you can't read anything on the screen if you were a viewer. When i play a game like Stalker and it turns to night time, the stream quality is pretty much a black screen with only sound.

Now i'm definitely not dismissing the idea that i just dont know how to set this stuff up properly because this is the first time i have really tried it. I have tried messing with the bitrate, resolution, changing Windows color scheme, and any other HD options but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure my system is capable of streaming clearly but maybe i'm overestimating its capabilities

Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600
Geforce 560ti
Windows 7 64bit

At the very least i would like to be able to stream a clear picture. Doesn't have to be 720p or 1080p as long as its clear. Like almost the same clarity that i get on my end playing. As i am finishing this up i realized i have been playing my games at 1920x1080. If i lowered the resolution while i'm playing would it create a clearer picture for the audience you think?

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I know for Twitch.tv you have be partnered and average a certain number of viewers (200+) per stream in order to unlock 720p. Getting the best clarity is just a matter of tweaking the streaming program (xsplit).

Gamma, color saturation, audio & video quality can all be adjusted to allow the best stream quality but the better the quality the more bandwidth it eats. You have to have the upload speed / bandwidth to support it. If you don't, the video quality will degrade to keep smooth framerates.

rshea1689

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

You need to change your resolution in Xsplit. You should be able to stream at 720p resolution without purchasing a license from xsplit.

Load Xsplit. At the top there is a tab for view. Within that there change your resolution to the 1280x720 (720p).

after doing that. Select a scene in the lower right of Xsplit.

Now at the bottom of Xsplit select Add>Screen Region>Click in your top left corner and drag to bottom right hand corner> Select add again from the bottom>Camera>Webcam (if you choose to show yourself playing.

then broadcast.