Symantec Desktop Firewall event log is always empty

I have been using the Symantec Desktop Firewall v2.01 for over a month now.
The security and privacy sliders are set to medium. It seems to be
working -- it has caught a few trojans so far.

When I view the Event Log (from the Options button), it's always empty.
Does anyone know how this could happen?

Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about symantec desktop firewall event empty

    Michael Gainey schrieb:
    > I have been using the Symantec Desktop Firewall v2.01 for over a month now.

    How old is that thing? ;-)

    > The security and privacy sliders are set to medium. It seems to be
    > working -- it has caught a few trojans so far.

    What do you mean with "it has caught"? Did you download a trojan and
    executed it and "it" caught it? Or did it just tell you that someone in
    the internet tried to access a "trojan port" of your computer. But as
    long as you did not install a trojan this is never a problem, because
    there is nobody listening at that particular port. So this message isn't
    very interesting and nothing that you could say the firewall protected
    you against because there was nothing to protect against. And as any
    good trojan knows how to reconfigure your firewall to let it's own
    traffic through, well, I guess, you get the point...

    > When I view the Event Log (from the Options button), it's always empty.
    > Does anyone know how this could happen?

    Have you tried the support pages of symantec? Not many people here will
    run that old thing probably. I have found this with a few clicks:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/5a5e9c8a8ac2ec3c882568f60060f23a/41e05dab9811dc7985256937003f2023?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    Search the rest of the knowledge base for your version to find anything
    else...

    Gerald

    > I have been using the Symantec Desktop Firewall v2.01 for over a month now.
    > The security and privacy sliders are set to medium. It seems to be
    > working -- it has caught a few trojans so far.
    >
    > When I view the Event Log (from the Options button), it's always empty.
    > Does anyone know how this could happen?

    You are probably using it under XP - in which case that is what happens.
    SDF 2.01 is not supported under XP for this and other reasons.

    If you're not using XP, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

    - DPR

Firewalls Desktops Symantec Security Networking