Need a good match for my 2100 tbred b

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Found out my mobo is not compatable with the 9700 pro... dunno if it is the revision of the mobo or what, but I need to replace my KX7-333. Im looking for another good overclocker, Want to try and stay with Abit, but may consider Epox. Any suggestions?

I will be ocing to my max, and I will be using pc2100 at this point... Im looking for performance and stability, please no Asus boards.

Edit!

Price is a huge factor. Looking for something in the $80 or less range.

Edit2:

Ok looking around, I found the Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro. Any problems to be had with leadtek boards? I have never had any exposure to ne, but have heard good things about the nvida card they make. I can get one online for $91 from gameVE.com . Good deal?
--
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
-George Washington<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lonemagi on 03/05/03 12:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
If you need to save some money, then i'd go for either the Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro or the Epox 8rda motherboard. Both run about $80-100 depending on the shipping cost.

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Im leaning Leadtek because I have heard good things, but Like I said, it was about the vid cards they make. I had an epox board once, and the only prob I had with it was the capacitors on it blew... after 4 years though.

I just remembered a buddy of mine bought a Leadtek nforce2 board, with onboard video. Im gonna ask him about it tonight, see how his setup has been running. I see that it has voltage settings for everything in the bios, and I like that. But I hear that the 8xrda can get some nice overclocks... I will decide tonight.

--
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
-George Washington

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I looked into it, and Im gonna go gfor another abit board, an Abit NF7, looked at getting the NF7-s, but the few extra bucks for SATA and firewire that I wont use is not worth it. That and I trust Abit, have recommended them a few times.

Sorry it looks like I just threw your reccomendation out the window, but I read up on the three boards and came down to this.

Thanks again

--
-George Washington

Slicemaster101

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Well,
I can highly recommend SolTek’s new nFORCE2 series of main boards. They are affordable and the performance is unbeatable! The specific model I speak of is the
SL-75FRN-L. this board rocks and for the money it is unbeatable. It retails for about ~$100.00 USD (I paid $93 each, for both of mine)and is really a good deal. The board is rock solid and can be overclocked like a MOFO! The BIOS is loaded with settings that you won’t see on boards from ASUS, MSI, or A-BIT! As you can tell I am a SolTek advocate but I speak from personal experience, this board is really worth worth the money and it out performs basically all the commutation from ASUS, MSI, and A-BIT. You should at least check it out, as the reviewers love it. SolTek has also recently opened a branch in the US and the boards are becoming more readily available. Check them out at www.soltekusa.com

Signed,
Slice

SolTek kicks A$$!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slicemaster101 on 03/06/03 09:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Well, thanks for the reccomendation, but I just ordered my new board, adn it will be here tomorrow. I got the Abit NF7. The features I want, some that I may need, and it does 333 easily, and by the time I can get some new memory, I can oc my tbred even farther.

--
-George Washington

AlexiD12

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I'm wondering what kinda instability problems are you talking about with your mobo and video card? I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra with a Radeon 9700 and it HATES the damn thing. God forbid I install the VIA 4in1 drivers..all I see is gibberish on bootup. Even without the 4in1 drivers I had it stabel for a little and then it would freeze as soon as I left desktop to any type of video. I RMA'd my RADEON 9700, if the new one comes back with the same problems, I'm sending my mobo back for an NFORCE chipset and be done with it. VIA SUCKS.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
No problemas with stability, but compatability. The 9700 pro does not work in my old mobo. No post, no windows. I can hear it all, but see diddly squat.

Which via chipset is that? is it set at 8x agp? if it is, bump it down to 4x (no difference that your eyes will be able to see)

Otehrwise, try updating the bios to a more current or beta version.

--
-George Washington

AlexiD12

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Its a KT400 chipset and it does have 8x AGP. If I have the agp set to auto, it goes to 8x when my 9700 is in, I get the 3 long beeps like the card isnt installed right and then I cant see anything, not even bios. When I force 4x, it I see general things but have the instability I was talking about. I'm using the latest bios, sucks.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
try going on the <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com</A> forums? They know their radeons.

--
-George Washington