which SLK on A7N8X Deluxe

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I have a TbredB AthlonXP 1800+ CPU and I am currently using the stock HSF that came with the processor. I have managed to overclock this processor up to 2400+ with this HSF but it gets quite hot, and I believe that I can even get better results using a better HSF. I have A7N8X Deluxe.

Which HSF should I get? In my opinion SLK-900 would be the best choice but unfortunatelly it doesn't fit on my board. I am planning to buy from www.1coolpc.com but it doesn't have SLK-800 in stock, only SLK-700. Do you think 700 would be enough or should I maybe turn to Volcano 7+ or even 11? I live outside the USA and basically my only choice is www.1coolpc.com so what do you guys think?

I'd really appreciate any help. Should I go for the SLK700, Volcano 7+, Volcano 11 or should I stick with SLK800? (the last is of course the "worst" choice since I don't know any other stores that could sell this HSF to 'international' customers ... along with reasonable shipping prices)

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
First, where are you? That may change the recommendation.

Second, check this out:
<A HREF="http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95" target="_new">http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95</A>

These are excellent coolers, they're available pretty much world wide, and they cost a lot less than the ones you listed.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I live in Cyprus (Eastern Europe) but I can't see how this will change the recommendation. I never decide based on what's available here but on what's best for my system, because otherwise my choices would be extremely limited :)

From the coolers I listed, which one would you prefer? SLK-900 is not an option due to its size so we have the three Volcanos and SLK-700.

Btw, the reason I hesitate buying the Volcano 11 for example is because I saw in one review that SLK-800 is still the "king", since it easily beats the volcano. But I wonder if the extra performance of SLK-800 worths the extra trouble for me in finding it.

I have one last question which I hope you will be able to answer. I am planning on buying a new case and I am looking towards Antec PlusView 1000AMG. This case has 3 fans. If we also add the two fans of the power supply and the fan of the CPU then we have a total of 6 fans. Wouldn't that be too noisy, having in mind that I have my computer in my bedroom?! (I often leave it on while I sleep) What is the maximum dBA level I should never exceed? I keep seeing fans specs talking about 30-40-50 dBA but I don't know what these numbers mean in real sound volume.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
When i upgrade next im either getting an sk6+ or 7 to cool my 2700xp because they only perform a few degrees less than the 800 in the tests ive seen. Noise wise, i have a psu with 2 fans, a 70mm coolermaster fan on the heatsink and an 80mm fan blowing air in, each rated at 30-35db, real life noise is hardly audible, unless i take the case panel off, then its noisy!
P.S dont get a delta 60mm fan unless you are deaf, tried one before and thought my pc would take off hehe

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you are on a mid range XP the volcano 7 should prove an excellent solution for you. It's a hybrid, and fairly quiet. The Spire cooler I gave you a link for in my first message is every bit as good, but less expensive.

The question of sound is a tough one. There are a number of issues you have to consider such as other background sounds that may mask local sounds, the loudness of the various parts of your computer and the characteristic of the sound produced by your computer.

If you live in a noisey area, like near a freeway, the noise from your computer may be completely masked by the background noise. On the other hand, if you are in a relatively quiet area, like out in the country, you may end up hearing your computer no matter what you do. So the first consideration is one of relative loudness.

It's true that a loud sound will always be irritating, even a beloved song played too loud will irritate. So the absolute loudness of your computer is also a consideration. A 90db fan would drive anyone nuts.

The final consideration is one of quality of sound... what does it sound like. A soft rushing sound (white noise) such as made by the airflow from a quiet fan can actually mask other sounds in the room, making things seem quieter than they actually are. A whining or whistling sound, at the same DB count can be extremely irritating. So the nature or quality of the sound is important too.

First, just because your case has fittings for 307 fans does not mean you have to install all 307 of them. If one quiet fan will keep things acceptably cool, that's all you need. There's no reason to put up with the noise of redundent and often unnecessary fans.

As I've been learning of late the real trick isn't to fan the thing to death. It is also important to make sure the case has sufficient air intake that the fan(s) can draw enough air into your case without creating a vaccuum. Too many exhaust fans without adequate air intake can actually <b>increase</b> the operating temperatures because heat transfer is affected by air pressure. A little common sense tells us that you need as much area letting air in as out to create decent aiflow through a case. Each 80mm case fan should be matched by an 80mm air intake, to maintain the full airflow capacity of the fan.

Moreover, management of this airflow is important. In your average ATX or MICRO-ATX case, cool air should enter the front of the case and exit through the back. This draws cold air through the entire case. With open holes on the back, this airflow managment strategy fails, as the pressure drop in the case simply draws air in backwards through the open holes and out the one used by the fan without circulating it through the case at all. You probably will get better results by covering over unused fan openings in the back of the case and increasing the air intake area in the front.

One way of doing this is to cut or drill openings in the bottom of the case itself and use taller than average feet to allow airflow into the case from the bottom. Another is to modify the plastic front cover, cutting away the bottom lip of the plastic (underneath where it's out of site) allowing air to enter through the new opening.

Another noise management strategy is to slow down the rotation of fans somewhat. With most aftermarket coolers you can knock 5 or 10% off the speed of the fan without any noticeable penalty. Often this is true of the case fans as well. This can be done as easily as putting a 10 ohm 2 watt resistor in series with the fan's power lead, or you can get as exotic as microprocessor controllers that fit in drive bays... in any case even a slight reduction in fan speed can result in a pronounced drop in the annoyance factor.

So you may well find that with a well ventilated case you will only need one low speed case fan to keep things cool, quiet and sane.

To give you some idea how loud things are:
<A HREF="http://www.xprt.net/~rcrowley/tvcaudio/loudness.htm" target="_new">http://www.xprt.net/~rcrowley/tvcaudio/loudness.htm</A>

Hope this helps.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Agree with Speeduk, look at the SK-7. I just installed it on my XP 2100+ with a Panaflo fan. It is cool and quiet. The SK-7 is a BIT smaller than the SLK-800 and like he said, does near the job of cooling. But it is only half the price (at least I got mine for $20!).

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The SLK700 is basically the same heatsink as the SLK800 but it has steps and fastening wires to hold 70mm and 60mm fans.

According to <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">Dansdata.com</A> the Thermalright SK7 provides the just about the same level of cooling (when using the same fans) as the SLK800.

Lastly, Dansdata found the Spire Falconrock II heatsink also provides the same level of cooling as the SLK800, at least when all are using the Delta EHE fan (85 cfm I think). The stock fan only provides average cooling but is very quiet (25 dBA).

I wish I could get the Falconrock II here in the USA. Weighs much less being copper and aluminum than the all copper Thermalright coolers.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>