Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim vs Guild Wars 2

Last response: in Video Games
November 13, 2012 12:38:28 PM

Hi,

i am thinking of buying a game in the near future. A friend of mine has Skyrim and i liked it. I also like Guild Wars 2. I know they are games from different genres but help me find which one to buy. I have played Witcher 2 which i enjoyed but i dont know if i will enjoy Skyrim too.

I have played WoW for 2 months and i have to say that i am still a newbie and not a big fan of it. I don't really like the MMORPG genre but Guild Wars 2 is something new and breaks the standards of WoW and "WoW-killers". I love the graphics of Guild Wars, the classes and i would like to give try a MMORPG as i only have played WoW and 4Story.

I am more into RPGs than in MMOs but the way you battle in Witcher 2 is different from Skyrim. Skyrim is 1st person and in Witcher you locked in a character and you hit him but in Skyrim it looks like you sling your sword randomly and it hits the nearest target.

I don't devote too much time in games (cause of parents,school and gym) and my friend advices me that if i play MMOs i have to devote a lot of time to my characters, their talents and so on. I am newbie in MMOs but i would like Guild Wars 2 to be the game which i am gonna learn to play and become good at it. But on the other hand i like the exploration in Skyrim, the dungeons you find..

I can't decide which one to buy and i don't think i can afford both of em

More about : skyrim guild wars

November 13, 2012 2:15:25 PM

GW 2 still has all the classic "kill 5 of these" quests it just dresses it up differently like "protect this outpost against the horde!" or maybe I'm just cynical with all things MMO. That said, GW 2 has an excellent pricing model with a flat $60 fee and no recurring one.

Skyrim is a personal all-time favorite of mine. I've had at least a few hundred hours of play and I can still play for hours at a time.
November 13, 2012 2:49:44 PM

Guild wars and Skyrim arent even of the same class..... Guild wars is a MMO and Skyrim is a single player story based game with a massive map and more expandibility. If your refering to the Elder Scrolls online then sorry I'm not able to give details at this time
Related resources
November 13, 2012 3:06:49 PM

Guild Wars 2 guides you along your own story depending on how you create your character. With it's massive world they're actually more similar than they are different with the one obvious caveat that GW is online and you can play with friends. Groups is very fluid with often simply being near each other and doing the same goals to get shared rewards being sufficient.
November 13, 2012 3:21:42 PM

Well looks like you like to play in 3rd person (where you can actually see your whole character). I'm currently playing GW2 and I like it, it's very casual. I hated WoW because I always made feel rushed and on a schedule, it's not casual friendly. In GW2 I logg in when I want to. The lanscape is gorgeous, however I was a little disappointed in the style of the character themselves. They look small on the screen and feel like "cheap 2D paper drawings"; also sometimes the abilities don't connect well. However, I bought this game as an exploring game so no regrets. I can't say much about Skyrim, but I believe you can play it on 3rd person as well, not sure.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 13, 2012 6:10:51 PM

I've played both of them and I really liked both games. Both games reward you for exploration, both games have a central story that you follow that takes you around the lands. They both have little side quests/events/etc in both games you get to collect items and gear, learn skills and such. The only prime difference is GW2 offers multiplayer community since it's always online game. With such there are more flavorful content that is available to participate in that isn't available in single player mode game of skyrim. (such was pvp, world pvp, partying, dungeons, etc). First and foremost in MMO type game the defining feature is the online community of the game world.

with that said, skyrim for instance offers deeper quest chains, there's main story quest line. Then there's one of each trade guilds (warrior, thief, mage and assassins). There's a few other ones that you can find too, they are more traditional quests that involve several steps or stages within them, some of them allowing you access to unique locations, etc. GW2 doesn't really have quests like that, there are multiple complex dynamic events, but they don't really compare to skyrim warriors guild quest line for example. Plus, another advantage of skyrim is the huge amount of mods that are available at a click of a button. GW2 won't have that kind of content.

So, there you have it, I've outlined the advantages of both games that highlight one game over another, I hope this will help you make a more informed decision.
November 13, 2012 6:29:24 PM

Rockdpm said:
Guild wars and Skyrim arent even of the same class..... Guild wars is a MMO and Skyrim is a single player story based game with a massive map and more expandibility. If your refering to the Elder Scrolls online then sorry I'm not able to give details at this time

I mention that they are games from different genres and no i am not referring to Elder Dcrolls online
November 13, 2012 6:37:27 PM

AntiZig said:
I've played both of them and I really liked both games. Both games reward you for exploration, both games have a central story that you follow that takes you around the lands. They both have little side quests/events/etc in both games you get to collect items and gear, learn skills and such. The only prime difference is GW2 offers multiplayer community since it's always online game. With such there are more flavorful content that is available to participate in that isn't available in single player mode game of skyrim. (such was pvp, world pvp, partying, dungeons, etc). First and foremost in MMO type game the defining feature is the online community of the game world.

with that said, skyrim for instance offers deeper quest chains, there's main story quest line. Then there's one of each trade guilds (warrior, thief, mage and assassins). There's a few other ones that you can find too, they are more traditional quests that involve several steps or stages within them, some of them allowing you access to unique locations, etc. GW2 doesn't really have quests like that, there are multiple complex dynamic events, but they don't really compare to skyrim warriors guild quest line for example. Plus, another advantage of skyrim is the huge amount of mods that are available at a click of a button. GW2 won't have that kind of content.

So, there you have it, I've outlined the advantages of both games that highlight one game over another, I hope this will help you make a more informed decision.

Thank you for your advice.
If i am gonna buy GW2 i am going to play alone or with a person i meet in-game cause none of my friends play it. I don't really have a problem doing quests alone. Do you know if the dungeons are similar to WoW? Do you open a Dungeon finder to find a dungeon and then you join it with other people? Is it similar to WoW? What are the diffrences? When i played WoW i liked more dungeons than battlegrounds but i would like to try WvW in GW2. I didn't play PvP in WoW cause i sucked...
!