Sign in with
Your question

Exceeding board FSB; does it affect performance?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 6, 2003 4:01:53 PM

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an XP 1700 currently overclocked at 1750 (175 x 10), which would put the fsb at 350. The board states it supports up to 333, so my question is this: is there any performance gain or loss with the cpu and system after you've exceeded the fsb, or is the fsb just as overclockable as a processor? Would it be best to just stick with 166 and change the multiplier or continue lowering the multiplier and raising the freq.?

Thanks for your time and help,
Ryan
March 6, 2003 4:24:41 PM

Well, I'm running my DURON at 109 FSB, when default it 100 (218 or 200 DDR). Nothing seems bad, but things are faster. Especially my RAM, because I have the option of CPU+PCI bus speed for my RAM, so it is running at 145 MHz (PC133). The onlly thing to watch out for is your PCI bus, if you raise it too high, you could get data corruption on your hard drive, causing many bad things for your OS.

Duron 1300 (Soon to be T-Bred 'A' 1800)
A-Bit KT7E
KT133E chipset
896 MB PC133 (cheap stuff)
2 40 gig HD
GeForce4 MX-440 (c'mon, I have a DURON)
Hercules MUSE 5.1 DVD
7 80MM fans (including CPU fan and 2 PSU fans)

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.
March 6, 2003 6:35:39 PM

Nope, just like Processors, the more you overclock Mobos/chipsets, the better they perform. Just like processors, theire rated speed isnt necessarily their maximum speed. And just like processors, they can only go so far. If you keep overclocking your motherboard, it will become unstable. But if it is stable at 175x10, its fine! If I was you I would push further. Either up the multiplier or up the FSB further for even better performance!

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
Related resources
March 7, 2003 1:28:25 PM

The nForce2 chipset seems to run stable up to 200Mhz (400 DDR) with some aircooling on the northbridge. So you should be able to OC your CPU higher. Increasing the FSB not only increases the CPU speed but also memory performance.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
March 7, 2003 5:22:42 PM

I did notice the northbridge ran fairly hot, even with the factory heatsink. Is there any northbridge cooler you could recommend, or could I get by with just a small 40mm fan installed on top of the heatsink?
March 8, 2003 11:56:02 AM

I took a look to some pics of the board and the heatsink seems to be pretty large already. So I suggest you try placing a fan on it first.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
March 8, 2003 11:00:46 PM

Well if it can fit a thermaltake crystal orb go for that, unless you preffer doing what I've done - get a Zalman Northbridge passive heatsink and mount a 120mm fan right over the chipset/RAM and you'll never have problems with the n-bridge overheating

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>
March 9, 2003 3:43:16 AM

how do you attach the fan on the heatsink. Do you have to use long screws to attach it to the motherboard? Just need to know coz I'm thinking of going the same route. Thanks....
March 9, 2003 4:44:09 AM

Depends on what CPU, but anything in a socket uses clips, not screws to hold the heatsink to the CPU/motherboard. The screws hold the fan to the heatsink.

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.
March 9, 2003 7:27:04 AM

it attatches with a pin/screw system - its kind of weird when you see it but it works well - check it here <A HREF="http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/nb32j.htm" target="_new">http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/nb32j.htm&lt;/A>

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by error_911 on 03/09/03 06:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 9, 2003 5:50:41 PM

I think your link is broken.

March 9, 2003 9:38:49 PM

not any more :p 

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>
!