Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best operating system for a gaming PC?

Last response: in Video Games
November 13, 2012 4:55:16 PM

Hello, a website i'm using to (potentially) buy a gaming PC offers a choice of three operating systems:
-Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
-Windows 8 64-bit
-Windows XP home service pack 3 32-bit
Now, I understand that windows 7 is a good, sound operating system, and so it might be best to stick to what I know. Windows 8 may be worth a try, but it seems far too changed a version of windows (why fix what was already working perfectly, I understand change is needed but start menu and taskbar worked brilliantly), and it may have compatibility issues. Windows XP, I remember not very well, from my childhood. However, what I remember, I remember fondly (though it may just be rose tinted goggles :??:  )
Please could someone give me advice as to the best OS for a gaming system?
November 13, 2012 4:59:40 PM

Hi :) 

7 PRO

All the best Brett :) 
November 13, 2012 6:04:52 PM

what brett said.
Related resources
November 13, 2012 6:16:00 PM

I would say win 7, but just curious, why pro?
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2012 6:37:53 PM

7-64, no need for pro.
November 13, 2012 6:46:56 PM

Better yet, why not 8? It has power reduction and performance enhancements 7 doesn't have. Both of these are critical to gaming rigs. Also, it can run all of 7's software.
November 13, 2012 6:52:32 PM

majestic1805 said:
Better yet, why not 8? It has power reduction and performance enhancements 7 doesn't have. Both of these are critical to gaming rigs. Also, it can run all of 7's software.

Because 8 is still on a lot of beta drivers and some games have problems in it...

November 13, 2012 6:57:30 PM

I just built a new machine with 8 and have had zero issues with it driver-wise. If you're talking about old games then I wouldn't consider that a huge deal. Older software drops off as new OS's come out. That's always how it's been.
November 13, 2012 7:51:25 PM

majestic1805 said:
I just built a new machine with 8 and have had zero issues with it driver-wise. If you're talking about old games then I wouldn't consider that a huge deal. Older software drops off as new OS's come out. That's always how it's been.

Games are not software (not in a gamers mind anyway lol)

If a gamer put 8 on a machine and it didn't play, he would be furious... and rightly so...and that's happening... so 7 Pro...

November 14, 2012 3:22:50 PM

Now = Win 7 (64-bit edition). Anything that's Premium or higher.

February 2013 (or later) = Windows 8 "PRO"
November 14, 2012 3:31:19 PM

That's why compatibility modes exist. :) 

Also, I've had pro for a few months now so maybe I'm just spoiled.
November 14, 2012 6:38:10 PM

majestic1805 said:
That's why compatibility modes exist. :) 

Also, I've had pro for a few months now so maybe I'm just spoiled.

The PRO version will be a little better around Feb-March as it gets ready to be officially released for the tablets(the X64 or X86 versions). I also expect 3rd party to get on board with their proper drivers around that time (Q2-2013). That said, gaming on Win8 today is sort'of a gamble with all the BETAs out there.

So...buy Win7 for what I think will be the norm for the next 2-3 years or buy Win8Pro and get the OS that'll be the norm on Tablets, Laptops, PCs and so on for the next 5-7 years.

...unless you guys believe that Win8 will be the off child (like it's two brothers - > Windows ME and Windows Vista).

Not to change the subject but honestly, at this point, I'm waiting to see what will be up with STEAM as most of my games are on THAT platform ATM...and we all know how Valve feels about WIN8.
November 14, 2012 7:28:10 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
The PRO version will be a little better around Feb-March as it gets ready to be officially released for the tablets(the X64 or X86 versions). I also expect 3rd party to get on board with their proper drivers around that time (Q2-2013). That said, gaming on Win8 today is sort'of a gamble with all the BETAs out there.

So...buy Win7 for what I think will be the norm for the next 2-3 years or buy Win8Pro and get the OS that'll be the norm on Tablets, Laptops, PCs and so on for the next 5-7 years.

...unless you guys believe that Win8 will be the off child (like it's two brothers - > Windows ME and Windows Vista).

Not to change the subject but honestly, at this point, I'm waiting to see what will be up with STEAM as most of my games are on THAT platform ATM...and we all know how Valve feels about WIN8.

Personally i suspect 8 will last a little longer than ME (1 year) and a little less than Vista... IMHO...

February 28, 2013 3:42:14 AM

HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO GO FOR WIN 8 IF YOU ARE WILLING
TO PLAY NEW MODERN GAMES.

BUT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY OLD CLASSICS YOU MUST CHOOSE WIN7

ALSO IF YOU CHOOSE WIN7 YOU MUST CHOOSE LOWER ONE LIKE HOME
BASIC TO MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP WORKS AT GOOD PACE.

IF YOU CHOOSE WIN8 IMUST WARN YOU, NOT ALL NEW AND OLD GAMES WORK

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.
February 28, 2013 4:50:48 AM

Don't get win 8 yet if you want a gaming PC.
Wait for a few more months and then get win 8.
So for now get Win 7 64-bit home
a b 4 Gaming
February 28, 2013 6:59:27 AM

COMPUTER FURY said:
HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.

you sir are in the wrong job as you obviously know very little about what o.s is what. while in theory you are correct in your assumption that new games should work best on a new o.s you couldn't be further off the mark in reality.
as for your assertion that to play classics you need windows 7, thats just laughable. games aren't considered classic until they reach a certain maturity, windows 7 hasnt reached that maturity yet so how can the games that were designed to run on it be classics.
if you had of said xp 32bit then maybe yes. but windows 7?

i think you have been drinking the microsoft cool aid...

oh and spouting about being a tech forum employee means nothing to us. there are 15 year olds that know more than most of the adults that inhabit this site. i have 32 years of gaming under my belt but it doesnt mean i cant learn something form the kids every now and again. but you saying "im a tech forum employee" makes me think your a wanna be, who thinks he already knows it all. when in fact the proof, shows the opposite... so show some humility and STOP SHOUTING!...
February 28, 2013 11:54:25 AM

COMPUTER FURY said:
HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.

Troll? Nah...too good for a troll but horrible for "A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE".

oh and DON'T TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! It's annoying.
March 3, 2013 2:40:25 AM

Dont get windows 8, it sucks. It took the best part of wins 7, and destoid it
March 3, 2013 3:15:17 AM

I just bought Windows 8 because it was basically $15 to upgrade from 7 Home Premium to 8 Professional.
March 3, 2013 3:23:22 AM

Why it terrible. 7 Home Premium is great, it run evering, and has a great start menu
March 5, 2013 9:20:45 PM

Windows 8 is a disgrace of an operating system. A computer should have a computer os, not one that was meant for a phone... Go with windows 7 pro
March 5, 2013 10:09:14 PM

voiidwulf said:
I just bought Windows 8 because it was basically $15 to upgrade from 7 Home Premium to 8 Professional.

+1

I love windows 8. I also have had zero issues with it, both gaming wise and normal work. Also if you want the start menu back, just get something like start8.

Again though, its just personal preference. 7 is more stable just because its been out for so long and its drivers are all set.

Windows 8 is still worth a try IMO
March 6, 2013 12:15:04 AM

I just built a new gaming computer, and did indeed go with windows 8 64-bit. I currently have well over 2,000 games in my PC collection. (before anyone asks, they are all legally obtained copies)

Will be running the course of games from all generations, including compatibility modes, community compatibility mods, dos-box, scummvm and other sources for older games, to give them the test.

Driver issues aside, I have not really seen any credible sources for people claiming games just do not work period. Just speculation. Bottom line, older games are NOT designed to work on windows 7 either. But they still do, with the proper tweaking.

The main complaints I hear about Windows 8 is because of the new interface. It does indeed take getting used to. It's not like when we jumped from XP to Vista to 7. No, this is a whole new ball game. You WILL need to do some learning. It is not that familiar for anyone who has used windows in the past. But is it hard to learn? No. It's just different.

Metro will leave you scratching your head at first. Granted, it does look pretty, it is still unfamiliar territory. But don't get discouraged. The OS is blazing fast, and so far I am really digging it.
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2013 1:07:04 AM

"Driver issues aside " thats the point drivers that should work dont. you will have a decent o.s in win 8 when they release service pack 1, until then stick with 7.
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2013 4:59:53 PM

Windows XP. :)  :)  :) 

I would go with Win 7 64-bit.
March 6, 2013 8:17:19 PM

Read some review on window 8. Then try it out and you will see how much it sucks compaired to windows 7. Dont say its great if you never used 7 before
March 6, 2013 8:58:38 PM

I've used both. As I said, for me it makes very little difference. I am mostly inside applications so the new start menu doesn't really matter. I was illegible for the $15 upgrade to Windows 8 Professional so I did it because I was at Windows 7 Home Premium before.
March 7, 2013 3:24:58 PM

Many of the Win 8 issues were mentioned in late 2012. Most drivers have updated by now.

New machine? Go 8. It's whats going to be supported going forward. 7 is going to be fine for another year at least though.
April 3, 2013 2:44:27 AM

there isnt any reason not to get windows 8 64-bit i have done a commparison my self i got two laptops: my windows 7 pro and my new on windows 8 64-bit both same processors (amd phenominon II) and graphics card
results:
battlefield 4 : windows 8 72 fps, windows 7 65 fps
arma 3 alpha: windows 8 81 fps, windows 7 73 fps
far cry 3: windows 8 120 fps, win 7 105 fps

as you can see windows 8 wins now stop downing it and at least give it a try because i know at least 3/4 of you are just getting your information from other reveiw sites
April 3, 2013 4:43:57 PM

cheese519 said:
there isnt any reason not to get windows 8 64-bit i have done a commparison my self i got two laptops: my windows 7 pro and my new on windows 8 64-bit both same processors (amd phenominon II) and graphics card
results:

as you can see windows 8 wins now stop downing it and at least give it a try because i know at least 3/4 of you are just getting your information from other reveiw sites

April 21, 2013 5:32:07 AM

Do you have to get Windows? You could always get a Linux Distro with a light-weight interface and install WISE to run Windows software. Depending on which distro you get, you may run into driver issues, but Nvidia has been updating their drivers for Ubuntu since Dell released the new Alienware X51. Anyways, running Linux could help boost performance and save you money because it's free(well most distros).

If you don't want that, get Win 7. Support for XP ends next year, and 8 is sill glitchy with drivers and some games.
April 21, 2013 5:34:56 AM

Ares88 said:
cheese519 said:
results:

What about RAM and the Motherboards, are they the same? And how many programs do you have on each. They have to be exactly the same except the OS to do a proper test.
Besides they were saying it isn't compatible with most drivers, when you are only prooving that it works better with your hardware. Also, their posts were from right after Windows 8 Came out
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2013 11:14:22 PM

+1^
windows 8.1 will be out soon enough and it addresses most of the concerns i have about win 8. as soon as it gets the start menu back and goes back to file and folder it will be usable again on pc. but until then stick with 7 if you have a choice.

the fact is that win 7 and 8 use the same basic kernal but as shown in some games you can get a 10% boost. this doesnt mean win 8 is better it means win7 needs some tweaking to get the 10% win 8 produces. looks like m.s are deliberately gonna gimp 7 and through that force people on to windows 8.
April 24, 2013 1:32:17 AM

7 any day its a gud os nd very user friendly plus if u have a problem u can use d compatibility option also so id recomend 7
August 14, 2013 3:14:46 PM

news flash windows 8 still has the "metro" start menu and it still doesn't address the gaming community microsoft is more focused on the consumer majority(casual gamers, businesses, homes)
a b 4 Gaming
August 14, 2013 3:51:56 PM

your rite but 8.1 is supposedly bringing the start button back. how usefull it will be is still up for debate. but its supposed to be there at release.
when the release will be is any1s guess as it keeps getting pushed back.
August 28, 2013 12:41:31 AM

Win8 by default is definitely irritating to use, but with Start8 (and Modernmix) or Classic Shell it's exactly like 7 but with unbelievable speed and efficiency. I too hated Win8 at first, believe me i avoided it like the plague. Though once i finally decided to setup a dual-boot with 7 and 8 i fell in love with the 20 second (give or take 10 seconds depending on your system) startups and better performance all around. I was also very worried it wouldn't be able to run many games (which was the main reason i kept 7 as a secondary) while in fact, not only does it run every single game that i throw at it, but it even runs the few games that wouldn't run before (it was definitely due to my oddball laptop) on pre-installed Win7. As for older games? Not a problem at all, hell it even fixes the issues with many older games i was having before. Now i can play any game, whether it's Doom, Diablo, Fallout, Crysis, The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Dead Space, Mass Effect, or Metro with no issues, lag (other than that due to my relatively low-end system).

So in conclusion: If you don't like the new interface....actually, forget the "if". Though you hate the new interface offered by Windows 8, it does not have to be used at all (with the exception of customizing the new features like your lock screen image) if you get a program to return the start menu and button that we all know and love (i've used both Classic Shell and Start8, i prefer Start8 but Classic Shell does have nice customization options).

Side notes: Before i switched to 8 (which to be honest, i did out of curiosity more than anything) i could not play certain games on my system, either very well or not at all. Mass Effect 1 and 2 (3 ran fine) would crash whenever i would pause the game, they were simply impossible to play without access to the menus. Now with Windows 8 they run perfectly (great framerate too). I also had issues with a little game know as Cortex Command, which had a graphical glitch (black screen) whenever i went into fullscreen mode. It's fine now. Steam used to be extremely slow and unstable (it crashed alot), but now it runs smoothly and has only slowed down a few times (it has yet to crash).

Other thoughts: Many people interested in Windows 8 are gamers, because as soon as a gamer hears the words "better performance" they get interested pretty damn fast. Some people seem to want Windows 7 to be updated with Windows 8's performance, but honestly, Windows 8 (with Start8/Classic Shell of course) IS Windows 7 with better performance. Win8 was built on Win7 and not too much has been changed that didn't need to be to get the better performance and stability (except the interface of course). Also, the traditional Win7/vista/xp interface is still there, you can go to the desktop and use it like a normal Windows experience (except the part where you need to get there). Of course with Start8/Classic Shell you'll start right at the desktop and never even have to use the Metro UI. I know it's hard, but Windows 8 (with Start8/Classic Shell) is in every way possible better than 7. There's no argument to make that would prove otherwise, there's nothing missing from 8, there's nothing out of the ordinary with how you go about your normal desktop activities, and there's nothing even significantly different (with the exception of a few programs like (file)Explorer, but trust me, they're good little changes) about it at all. Argue with it all you want, but I use Windows 8 everyday now and I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, it pains me when i have to go back into 7 to use an old program (which i can't find to install again on 8) because of how slow it is in comparison.

Also: If you haven't figured it out by now, all this is about Windows 8 *with* Start8/Classic Shell. Without one of those programs it does suck to use.

a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 1:40:58 AM

i wouldnt recommend win 8 even with them apps and mods. 8.1 would be the better option by the sounds of the reviews coming out. but theres still the issue of the RTC. if it can affect benchmarks in such a hap hazard fashion whats to say it wont affect other system reliant processes. fact is most of the percieved gains may well be a result of the RTC problem not the fact that its better written or optimized. so for now i would still say give win 8 a wide birth till the issues are sorted and understood properly.

August 28, 2013 3:32:59 AM

i heard windows 8 got rid of the file explorer is that true??
if so i will never buy it
October 24, 2013 4:35:25 PM

majestic1805 said:

Just got off the phone with a os installer at a local pc store. He said 8 cause of the tweaking you could do and get an extra 20 fps out of it. All the new pc games are geared towards 8. IMHO
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2013 7:22:15 PM

lol sales hype mate... he's taking the mik out of you by saying that... your looking at 1-2% increase in fps on some games which turns into maybe 2-3 fps in the real world.
October 24, 2013 7:23:22 PM

HEXiT said:
lol sales hype mate... he's taking the mik out of you by saying that... your looking at 1-2% increase in fps on some games which turns into maybe 2-3 fps in the real world.

cool thanks
October 30, 2013 5:14:16 AM

there is no “best operating system”. Every gamer has different needs that can’t be satisfied by a single operating system. We have to compromise and choose the best that fits our needs as an individual. Depending on what are our requirements the “best operating system” can be any version of Windows. If you want to play DirectX 9 games then the best choice is probably Windows XP but if you want DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 you must choose a newer operating system, Windows 7. But new isn’t always better, see Vista.
October 30, 2013 8:31:06 AM

I installed Windows 8 Enterprise last night to test Battlefield 4. Performance wise it is very good (yes, faster than 7), however there is what appears to be a memory leak. On a fresh boot, ~1.4 GB RAM is used at idle. After getting into the game and playing for a while, everything will freeze up; 100% of the 8 GB RAM is used up.

I ran out of time to zero in on the culprit, but I'm starting to think it may be the video drivers, in this case AMD. I've heard it happens to nVidia users as well. It may also be BF4 itself.

Some things I like better in Windows 8, others not so much. Stardock has Start8 available that emulates the Windows 7 environment; I just may try it.

Possible solutions:
1) run game in compatibility mode.
2) install video drivers in compatibility mode.

Since nothing else is installed but what is necessary to run BF4, my opinion at this point is the problem is not specific to the OS or 3rd party background apps.

In reality, Windows 7 is "newer", but I'll bet it will be the next Vista not too far down the road and Windows 8 will be considered "newer" and better. Don't forget, BF3 had problems with Windows 7 64 similar to 8 just last year. I'll continue messing with the memory issue in BF4 before caving to 7.

a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2013 9:23:09 AM

funny thing is bf4 doesnt come out till nov 1st... as for 8 being better than 7 its a myth... your fps arnt being counted correctly because there is no hardware based clock timings that are seperate from the cpu. so the faster or slower the cpu runs the more variation from the true fps you will get.
October 30, 2013 2:29:43 PM

COMPUTER FURY said:
HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.

Nice, at least someone writing in caps-lock and bold. I'm having a really hard time reading everything else on the internet.

Sarcasm aside, you are basically wrong in almost every way as of now. Windows 8.1 is having huge trouble with games not supporting raw input and there is no reason to use Home Premium on a PC instead of i.e. Ultimate. There is no difference in performace.
October 30, 2013 2:33:19 PM

Windows 7! But try to grab Windows 7 Ultimate :) 
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2013 4:05:32 PM

Tmplt said:
COMPUTER FURY said:
HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.

Nice, at least someone writing in caps-lock and bold. I'm having a really hard time reading everything else on the internet.

Sarcasm aside, you are basically wrong in almost every way as of now. Windows 8.1 is having huge trouble with games not supporting raw input and there is no reason to use Home Premium on a PC instead of i.e. Ultimate. There is no difference in performace.

as a general rule the last part is correct(i cant comment on 8.1 yet as im unwilling to use it). there should be no noticeable difference in gaming performance between using a basic version of windows and an ultimate version unless the system is short on physical ram... such as 1-2 gigs as ultimate has a slightly higher memory usage overhead (due to extras like bitlocker, compatibility modes, and some networking features).

64bit o.s also introduces a higher overhead to around 1.3gigs on average as opposed to 900mb for a 32bit version of win 7 due to using longer address and bigger floating point bit rates, but again you wont see much of a difference if you have enough physical ram.

October 31, 2013 1:37:53 PM

HEXiT said:
funny thing is bf4 doesnt come out till nov 1st... as for 8 being better than 7 its a myth... your fps arnt being counted correctly because there is no hardware based clock timings that are seperate from the cpu. so the faster or slower the cpu runs the more variation from the true fps you will get.

Funnier still is we've been playing since October 29.

Don't use XP, it sucks. Don't use Vista, it sucks. Don't use Windows 7, it sucks. Every time a new OS is released, the same mantra.

As it is now, Windows 7 has only partial support for Direct3D 11.1, which is part of DirectX. Windows 8 has full support and uses less system resources.

In time, Windows 8 will overtake 7, just as 7 did to Vista, and people will advise moving up to 8..it never ends. Whether I transition now remains to be seen; 90 days to evaluate Windows Blue on a new system build should give me a good idea. On my old system, there are definitely issues, probably due to the MB is quite old and Asus no longer supports it (M4A79 Deluxe).

In the meantime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTOKVdNC6RI

November 28, 2013 6:18:01 PM

WIn 7 Ultimate the best for game .. all latest game played + you only need a mid end GPU card and 3+ ghz processor dual or up

win 8 and 8.1 suck confusing start button @_@
!