Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Black ops 2 makes my pc freeze.

Last response: in Video Games
November 14, 2012 1:35:52 AM

Yeh guys. I just bought Black ops 2 and everytime i join a game it last about 1 minute or so then my pc completely freezes...need help please.

My pc:

2TB HDD
1200W Power supply
Intel Core i7 3930K
Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - MotherBoard
Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
HIS Radeon HD7970 3GB

More about : black ops makes freeze

November 14, 2012 2:44:32 AM

Wow. You're running quite a system there... I have no idea why you'd have such a problem. It's probably a game issue. The PC version of the game has a lot of bugs that need fixing. Check if your drivers are up to date as well. Try reinstalling it. Otherwise I have no idea :( 
November 14, 2012 4:47:06 AM

yeh i tried all of that and nothing :(  thanks for trying to help anyways :) 
Related resources
November 14, 2012 5:04:39 AM

Guess you'll have to settle for calling in your local tech to sort it out. I hope you have warranty. :) 
November 14, 2012 3:23:26 PM

There's a lot of complaints on the official forums complaining about the same thing. 100% of them are running high end Radeons (7950 & 7970). There hasn't been an official response except that the PC Dev team is aware of the issue and they are working on it.
There should be a large patch inbound either today or tomorrow.

I myself have no issues what so ever with my Radeon 6850.
November 15, 2012 4:22:39 AM

i have the exact same problem which started today. First day or so it was fine but now every time i start a game it crashed after 1-5 miuntes and my system is not low end either.

sabertooth x79
16gb ram
ssd
watercooled.

Just as i though wow they pulled off an awesome game with no issues this happens :pfff: 
November 15, 2012 8:10:50 AM

Wow i actually think something is fucken with my pc. Now both cod4 and codmw3 are making my pc freeze n get a black screen...need help asap
November 15, 2012 11:21:17 AM

I can't figure out if it's a hardware issue or a software issue. It could be something as simple as a virus, but it could also be a problem with your set up. Need more info... Run a full system scan and see if anything comes up. Also, try running other games and see if it works, preferably games with lower requirements, just so we can figure out where the problem lies.
November 15, 2012 2:49:39 PM

pretty sure its game related. i havent had a single problem with other games
November 16, 2012 4:45:24 AM

anyone has a fix for this yet?

i start the game and still same happens. after about 1 minute my screen goes black and i have to hold the power button and shut down my pc and to top it off the whole probation thing is getting on my nerves too i'll try to join a game and it says i cant play mp because i dont finish game NO *** FIX THE GAME AND I WILL FINISH A FULL MATCH
November 16, 2012 4:46:57 AM

Check Steam Forums.
November 17, 2012 8:47:09 PM

Yeh shakal im still having that problem. Have you figured out how to fix it?
November 17, 2012 9:59:30 PM

Try the new 12.11 Beta 8 drivers. Just Came out 16-Nov-12. Might resolve the issue
November 17, 2012 11:21:57 PM

Ok thanks i'll give it a go.
November 18, 2012 10:07:04 PM

I'm having the issue still with Catalyst 12.11 beta installed. My GPU is an HD 7950.

I had the same issue with WoW for a while and was told to change from directx 11 to 9 and I haven't frozen in wow since. I'm guessing it has to do with the same thing since black ops 2 is the first game to use directx 11. If there was a way to change the game to only use dx 9, that would fix it but I don't see that being an option.
November 18, 2012 10:44:36 PM

I dont think black ops 2 uses directx 11. It is still a directx 9 engine. Its actually the same engine that was used in mw2. Just tweaked up.

Best solution

November 19, 2012 3:05:38 AM

Actually it does use dx11. It's the first COD game to do so.

Though, I removed Catalyst Control Center and was solid for about 20 matches with no freezing so that "may" be the culprit. I'm not 100% confident because I played for 2 days before getting locked up once, then couldn't play more than 2 matches before freezing today. Since removing Catalyst, it's been smooth for me. (hope I didn't jinx myself)
November 26, 2012 6:20:18 AM

Best answer selected by tomiola1.
December 3, 2012 2:59:51 AM

stunt456 said:
Actually it does use dx11. It's the first COD game to do so.

Though, I removed Catalyst Control Center and was solid for about 20 matches with no freezing so that "may" be the culprit. I'm not 100% confident because I played for 2 days before getting locked up once, then couldn't play more than 2 matches before freezing today. Since removing Catalyst, it's been smooth for me. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

I'm having the exact same issue as you guys, I removed CCC and yet it still won't stop freezing. Sometime I can play for a minute, sometimes an hour. This is getting extremely frustrating. Same specs as OP.
December 3, 2012 12:48:20 PM

Hi,

Since removing CCC, I went about a week without freezing. I got a little confidence in my machine and tried watching netflix while playing on my 2nd monitor. Froze within 10 minutes. I haven't locked up without dual monitors running.

I also used a driver cleaner to clear out any remnants of older drivers from my machine. I just bought my 7950 last spring, but before then I was using another Radeon HD. It took about 45 minutes to clear all old driver files from my machine, then 10 minutes to reinstall.

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html <-- this is what I used.

I played for about 10 hours over the weekend and didn't freeze once.
December 3, 2012 3:27:43 PM

stunt456 said:
Hi,

Since removing CCC, I went about a week without freezing. I got a little confidence in my machine and tried watching netflix while playing on my 2nd monitor. Froze within 10 minutes. I haven't locked up without dual monitors running.

I also used a driver cleaner to clear out any remnants of older drivers from my machine. I just bought my 7950 last spring, but before then I was using another Radeon HD. It took about 45 minutes to clear all old driver files from my machine, then 10 minutes to reinstall.

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html <-- this is what I used.

I played for about 10 hours over the weekend and didn't freeze once.

Now that is an interesting notion. I'm using dual monitors as well. Perhaps it's related? I'll disable the other monitor and see.

Edit: Yep, it froze again. Got 4 rounds in first, but I'd gotten more than that once before I uninstalled CCC/disabled monitor. It seems to be happening to the HD 7xxx series, so... Bummer. I'll try sweeping my drivers, though.
!