Volcano 11

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, bought a Volcano 11 & fitted it to my system (which was fully working), now neither my board and or CPU work... this was NOT a fun weekend for me (I even bought a shim to help protect the core)

my XP2000 doesnt work in An ECS 735 board (does it need a bios update to boot with an XP2000 CPU ???)
my Epox 8KHA+ will not boot with a Tbird 1200 (its original CPU)

any suggestions gratefully accepted B4 I go and spend money I dont want to use up...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Wow... bummer.

First off, I can't find any reference to a 755 board on the ECS website... are you sure that's the right model number?

Second... are you saying that you tried the heat sink on both boards and now neither of them works?

Did you follow the manufacturer's instructions when positioning the new heatsink?

Have you tried putting the original heatsinks back on: do they work then?

Did you check that the shim was the right thickness before you put the new heatsink on? (AMD's new cores do not stand up as far as some of the older ones)

I don't want be the one to tell you this, but an AMD CPU without a proper heat sink is good for about 3 seconds... It looks like you may have damaged both machines...

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A 735 chipset, not a 755... the shim I have is for the XP series...

I checked make sure it was broken with my old HSF on, I never run one of these heaters 'bare'... the second PC has its CPU back & is running just fine...

had confirmed by local PC shop that the core is chipped ie knackered...

poss I knocked some of the capacitors near the socket a bit on me old board, have to check warranty...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Latest posts