Vantec Aeroflow weight to much?

RPMayhem

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
I am considering buying a Vantec Aeroflow cooler for my AMD processor. I've read that AMD's recommended max limit for heatsink/fan weight is 300 grams, but the Aeroflow weighs just short of 400 grams. Do you think it is safe to transport my computer around with a heatsink past the recommended weight? Or will I have to remove the heatsink every time I go to a LAN party?

"Yes, you could just buy a computer from Dell, but that would take all the fun out of building it."

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
You should be fine. My Swiftech weighs more than 400gr and I move the case around a lot. Just be careful not to bump it into things a lot.

Call me Caine.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It really depends on its mounting mechanism.
If its 400g with the 2 clip design, thats definately a danger.
If it uses a 6 clip design then you are probably ok, Though if you are transporting it lots you may wish to check it before use or unmount it.

Arguable the best mounting mechanism is that which is used by the mcx-462 alpha 8045 and the SLK-900. Mounting through the motherboard is initially more complex, but is FAR FAR FAR more secure. I have a mcx-462 and nothing is gonna remove that sucker short of hitting it with a sledgehammer.

A consideration should you wish to have a mobile system.

<b><i>Poloticians and Nappies should be changed often... For much the same reason.</b></i>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
For what it's worth, AMD's tech paper on heatsinks is here:
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf</A>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
dude, don't worry about it at all - i've got the aeroflow and i practically throw my case around with no worries - maybe thats also because i've got a tweakmonster shim in between (hey, some customer of mine actually bitched at me because the shims are annodized purple and he thought it was too feminine for him !) and its all good. don't worry about it whatsoever, its not like you're installing that 1 1/2 pound Zalman heatsink !

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>