Firewall for satellite

Apparently the Direway (Hughes) satellite modem has no firewall capability
whatsoever. Since I have 5 PCs on my network I need to install a firewall
between my satellite modem and internal network. I reaaly do not want to put
a software solution on each and every machine. Any ideas on a good hardware
or software solution? By good I mean something that will show all of my
ports on the PCs as either closed or stealth when I run Shields Up. One
option I though about was a Win2000 server setup as a router on a junker PC
with Zonealarm, but I'm not too sure how functional that would be. I would
appreciate any ideas anyone has on this. Thanks, Mike

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:32:28 GMT, "Michael Lawson"
<73tea6z@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Apparently the Direway (Hughes) satellite modem has no firewall capability
>whatsoever. Since I have 5 PCs on my network I need to install a firewall
>between my satellite modem and internal network. I reaaly do not want to put
>a software solution on each and every machine. Any ideas on a good hardware
>or software solution? By good I mean something that will show all of my
>ports on the PCs as either closed or stealth when I run Shields Up. One
>option I though about was a Win2000 server setup as a router on a junker PC
>with Zonealarm, but I'm not too sure how functional that would be. I would
>appreciate any ideas anyone has on this. Thanks, Mike

How about a junker PC with Smoothwall installed. Should be a lot
quicker than W2K and no issues with tying up a license.
http://www.smoothwall.org

Charlie

Michael we are on Direcway here also and use a D-Link DSS+5 switch which
effectively hides the entire network from intrusions online. In addition
though we also have Sygate Pro on each machine for the unlikely event of any
outbound malware.

The Direcway Pro version which has a static IP can make use of the built-in
firewall within the DW6000 at this url:

http://192.168.0.1/fs/dynaform/firewallconfig.html
http://192.168.0.1/fs/advanced/advanced.html
http://192.168.0.1/fs/registration/setup.html
http://192.168.0.1/stats/rh/

The other 3 urls are also internal pages of the DW6000 you may find
interesting....

--

- Charlie in Mississippi
- "Keep the Blues Alive"