Low fps in general

rallepop

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Hey there.

I have some trouble. I recently switched out my Hd 5850 to a hd 7950, because all of a sudden, it performed worse, from one day to the other. I haven't quite got the expected increase i thought i would get. Actually, it seems worse at times. I cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I can barely run the witcher 2 at high, since my fps swings between 20 - 35. But when i ran a Unigine heaven benchmark, it scored pretty close to reviews.

My system:
i7 860 - 2.8 ghz
4 gb ram 1333 mhz
gigabyte motherboard
750 w psu.

Thank you for taking your time.

hello,

could I ask to know your make and model of the PSU? or just link to newegg. it would also help to know the exact model of your motherboard.

have you checked your temperatures, clocks, voltages and utilization? (hwinfo, hwmonitor, OCCT, etc to check)

Have you checked your BIOS after installing the card that it was recognized properly?

have you got the latest AMD drivers installed?

rallepop

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Hi.

I checked up on the things you suggested.
The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3.
The hd 7950 is overclocked with CCC, and i was careful, using kombustor and going up slowly, so it now runs at 980 / 1400. It runs at about 70-75 C.
I reinstalled windows after the card was installed, and updated to the latest drivers from amd's site.

I cant figure out anything on the psu, unfortunately.

you've overclocked your card to 980/1400 without increasing the voltage? somehow I find that doubtful.

as for the PSU, you can at least open your case at stare at it no? I'm sure it has a label and at least the company name that made it? while you're in there double check that the card is seated properly and both power connectors are plugged in all the way.

americanbrian

Distinguished
Your CPU is too slow and is bottlenecking the cards... A simple CPU OC will unleash a lot more from your GPU's

What res do you play at? This is important in any discussion about framerates...

rallepop

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Oh sorry. Im playing at 1080p. I have previously oc'ed the cpu, but lately it has been acting wierd. When i changed oc settings in the bios, my computer has turned off, and when i turn it back on, it has shown a screen where the clock speed has been lowered. I am going to try and disable hyper threading and the oc again, later today or tomorrow. I'll get back to you guys then. Thanks for the tip.

rallepop

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
my motherboard is a GA-P55A-UD3 rev 1.0
I ran a passmark test this morning, and i noticed my CPU frequency was lowered to 2,2 ghz, eventhough i earlier OC'd to 3,3 Ghz. My temperature at startup now lies at 80-90 degrees Celcius. So i think i found my problem. Anyone know a tip for this? If not, i'm ordering a new i5-3570k and a asus p8z77v.