Overclock Athlon XP, no unlocking!

rsmith4321

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I have an Athlon XP 1700+ with the .13 micron core. I’m using it in a FIC AD11 motherboard, which doesn’t officially support it. Here is the interesting part. I was all ready to follow the instructions for overclocking the processor as I always do. When I realized that for some reason, maybe because my motherboard doesn’t detect the processor properly, I can overclock as much as I want without modifications to the processor! I’m running WCPUID and I have Internal Clock of 1655.73, System Clock of 143.98, System Bus 287.95, and Multiplier 11.5 with no CPU modifications! And I’ve had it clocked higher but don’t have great cooling and so I turned it down. I’ve run a burn in test with these settings and they are completely stable, and benchmarks to make sure I’m actually getting the speed it says. And yes, I’m about the same as a 2000+. How is it possible that by changing the dip switch settings on my motherboard I was able to overclock the processor without any modifications to the CPU? I couldn’t do this on my old Duron, had to use the pencil trick. Well I just thought you might find this interesting. Is it normal, or did I just get a special chip? Maybe they forgot to laser burn mine. Thanks for any input.

svol

Champion
The answer is simple: The T-bred A/B cores (.13 micron) come unlocked most of the times. You got yourself a very OC friendly CPU.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Lo, its great to hear these stories of people having so much luck with Tbred B's! My next job is passive cooling. Im gonn astartup with no fan and no matter what temp it gets to as long as its stable im going to let it run passively!

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

rsmith4321

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
What is so amazing is that I got this for $55 free shipping at newegg.com. It's just funny how cheap this much power has gotten. I did figure out from looking at other messages that my CPU many times does come unlocked as you said. I'm glad I got the 1700+ and didn't pay more for a faster CPU, one that would probably be locked up anyway. Even with my not so great heatsink, I've been to the performance of an 2000+ and ran a burn in test with no problems, and I've not even pushed to see how far I can get. I need a better heatsink and fan before I try. I'm getting up to about 57C temperature rated from my motherboard, and I don't want to push it. Anyway, AMD sure does give a lot of power for the money. I just wonder how fast this CPU can get, one of these days I'll push it and find out.

svol

Champion
Yeah... the XP1700+ CPUs are a very nice deal.

If it is the T-bred A core it can go up to 1.8 GHz, 2 GHz if you're lucky.
The T-bredB XP1700+ can even reach 2.5GHz with enough cooling.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: