Sign in with
Your question

Black Ops 2 crashing

Last response: in Video Games
November 15, 2012 4:30:14 AM

Everytime I try to launch up my single-player mode for Black Ops 2, it crashes. It goes black for 1 second then, then says "Black Ops 2 stopped working... etc." However, if I boot up multiplayer or Zombies, it goes to the menu for a couple of second and then crashes. The music still plays, though. Whenever I try to click on options, it hangs on "Loading" and then crashes. I didn't pay 60 dollars for this, so any help would be much appreciated. Graphics card is Crossfired AMD Radeon 7970s.

More about : black ops crashing

November 15, 2012 4:50:07 AM

I have the original black ops, and it was virtually unplayable for the first few days due to it being soo buggy and freezing/crashing. Not to mention the lag in multiplayer (lag caused by the game, not ping) whenever i could get it working.

There is likely 3 major reasons for your problem.
1: It is a bad console port and the game itself needs to be patched in order to run properly. In this case, give it a few days.

2: the Graphics card drivers have not yet been optimised by AMD for black ops 2. Nvidia released a beta driver that gave significant boosts in performance for AC3 and BO2, so AMD will likely release a driver to fix this soon too. Try the catalyst 12.11 never settle beta driver number 7, it is AMD's latest driver.

3: It is your crossfire cauing you problems. Some games just dont like it (or SLI for that matter). Try disabling it and removing one card and see if you still have the same issue.

Otherwise, the standard "reinstall the game" and "restart your computer" suggestions apply.
November 15, 2012 5:24:13 PM

I have the same graphics rig, crossfire 7970s. And they work absolutely great in this game, I haven't had a single problem and I don't even have crossfire profiles for it yet. So I would second the reinstall game (verify cache in steam) and then restart pc. Maybe reinstall drivers also.
Related resources
November 15, 2012 7:19:26 PM

iyzik said:
I have the same graphics rig, crossfire 7970s. And they work absolutely great in this game, I haven't had a single problem and I don't even have crossfire profiles for it yet. So I would second the reinstall game (verify cache in steam) and then restart pc. Maybe reinstall drivers also.

Iyzik, can you please post what Driver version you are using, then we can compare it to what version OP was having the issues on. That way we can figure out if it is the drivers that are the problem (if running the same drivers doesn't work, then we know the problem lies elsewhere) :) 
November 15, 2012 9:52:50 PM

12.11 Beta Catalyst Control Center
& 12.10 CAP 1 (Crossfire Application Profiles)

Also I believe this latest driver version 12.11 requires .NET 4.0 so make sure that is installed
November 15, 2012 10:33:57 PM

I'm OP on a guest computer here, when I get home I'll try the version with .NET installed, as of now I have the beta release of CCC without the framework.
November 15, 2012 11:53:47 PM

Nope, still not working. :( 
November 16, 2012 12:09:15 AM

There is a known issue with the the Radeon 79xx's. I posted it other threads. Treyarch is currently working on a patch.

It's the same issue that World Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria had with the 78xx's & 79xx's.
November 17, 2012 3:03:29 PM

Looks like it's only crashing on Windows 7 64 bit. Tried it out on my Vista, same computer, I have no problems.
November 17, 2012 3:49:51 PM

Vitaminzed said:
Everytime I try to launch up my single-player mode for Black Ops 2, it crashes. It goes black for 1 second then, then says "Black Ops 2 stopped working... etc." However, if I boot up multiplayer or Zombies, it goes to the menu for a couple of second and then crashes. The music still plays, though. Whenever I try to click on options, it hangs on "Loading" and then crashes. I didn't pay 60 dollars for this, so any help would be much appreciated. Graphics card is Crossfired AMD Radeon 7970s.

I was having the same issue as you were having and it seems that disabling AMD External Events Utility has stop all the crashing in Black Ops II while using CF 7950 , before all this I was also using Cap profile 12.10 even that I had 12.11 ccc driver installed and Also turned off the Msi After buner overlay program. I went over 15 match's in Black Ops 2 Last night and I'm very happy that I can use the new 12.11 driver without crashing and also its the best driver for BF3, if I happen to still get any more crashing I'll come back and reply that this was all a failure and could have just been good luck,Btw I'm using x79 sabertooth i7 3820 4755mhz 1.4volts and Mushkin ram at 2398mhz 4x2GB 8-12-9-28-1t 1.8volts,,Gpu's 1100mhz core 1.193volts 1500mhz memory 1.625 volts. Enjoy your gaming!!!
January 3, 2013 11:47:25 PM

Ahhh yes What you want to try is this

1. Exit Steam

2 Run steam as administrator Right click it and then click administrator

3 Run the game

4 The game will freeze to about 1-20 seconds then it should unfreeze

5 Happy Gaming!

Or this is a known problem with the raedon Graphic cards.

!