Need to get a bluetoorh phone- stay with Verizon?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 26, 2005 10:14:25 PM

I'm getting a new car- with bluetooth.
I need to get a bluetooth phone, but all Verizon has is the Motorola

I hear bad reviews.

Should I switch carriers, or are new phones coming? Any good websites
around that talk about rumors on new cell phones?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:14:26 PM

In 2005 I have owned 3 Verizon blue tooth devices.

The Audiovox 6600 PocketPC 2003 2nd edition with blue tooth and evdo.
Only PDA that can handle web based multimedia in a moving car.

Blackberry 7250 has blue tooth.

V710 I found to be the best phone without bugs.

Only the 6600 had a bug, which like any window device a reboot would
correct.

Also only Verizon offers national coverage, since they still offer AMPS
roaming.
Other carriers will have huge gaps in coverage. Strongly recommend you
make sure the GSM coverage maps show coverage in areas of interest.
Soon that is the only place a GSM phone will work.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:02:29 PM

I refer people to Wall Street Journal reviews and the Verizon web store
for facts.

The only limitation Verizon placed on said devices were people trying
to avoid paying to use data services. The only people I know
personally, that find this to be crippling Blue tooth, are the same
ones stealing software and movies.
April 28, 2005 12:18:01 PM

What does this have to do with blue tooth? Using minutes for data is
paying. I used the same Verizon national plan before EVDO.

My previous post was referring to people that want to avoid paying
$80/month for unlimited 2Mbs internet access, by using the blue tooth
on a EVDO phone with $45/month unlimited EVDO data

Who are you going to switch to? I know Cingular CPD usage, at 9.6Kbs,
used up my minutes whether it was weekend or business day hours.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:31:35 PM

In article <1114650149.504496.272860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
czervas@bellsouth.net says...
> I refer people to Wall Street Journal reviews and the Verizon web store
> for facts.
>
> The only limitation Verizon placed on said devices were people trying
> to avoid paying to use data services. The only people I know
> personally, that find this to be crippling Blue tooth, are the same
> ones stealing software and movies.

I don't know about most users, but I do not "steal" software and movies
over my cellphone data connection. I do upload a picture heavy website
with about 3 megs of data a week when we're on the road in the RV. I've
been quite content with mobile office circuit switched data service for
minutes of use on our four year old National Single Rate plan with free
weekend minutes.

I will certainly look for more economical ways to do this upload if I
must start paying extra for data transfers. More economical would
include seeking a different carrier. Free wifi and free connections from
libraries are also an alternative, but these would be less convenient for
us.

My phone use can be either voice or data...the data takes less bandwidth
per connect minute than voice. I would highly resent being asked to PAY
EXTRA for that form of use, after having free use of data for only
connect minutes from my plan's inception.
--
My Opinion,
Barrie B

In article <1114701481.904621.296520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
czervas@bellsouth.net says...
> What does this have to do with blue tooth? Using minutes for data is
> paying. I used the same Verizon national plan before EVDO.

Nothing to do with bluetooth...only with paying EXTRA for data. Yes,
minutes IS paying, but not when you use free ones. I do not mind using
minutes, but would object strenuously to paying an additional megabyte
fee. It has not happened for circuit switched data, hopefully it will
not. When it does, I will look for alternatives....

THAT was my point. :-)
--
Regards,
Barrie B

On 4/27/05 9:02 PM, in article
1114650149.504496.272860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "DoctorZ"
<czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The only limitation Verizon placed on said devices were people trying
> to avoid paying to use data services. The only people I know
> personally, that find this to be crippling Blue tooth, are the same
> ones stealing software and movies.
Uh, you have no clue. The crippling of BT had nothing to do with people
stealing data.

Let's see here:
1) You can't upload ringtones, pictures or much else to this phone. So I
can't put pics or MP3's that I own on this phone without using some stupid
GIN App.

2) You can't sync with your computer over BT

3) You can't beam contacts/appointments over BT

Funny, I can do all that and more with my SE T637 on Cingular. See, they
didn't cripple BT so my phone syncs perfectly.

I can upload my pictures, themes, and other stuff to my phone via BT.

I have my phone sync with my Palm, iPod, and Mac (don't do Windows) no
matter where in my house (we live in a 1 story) the hone happens to be

I can send stuff over BT.

Yup, Verizon crippled this phone alright. In fact, it doesn't work well for
those with BT enabled cars (Prius, Infiniti M, Lexus, BMW etc) either
because of the crippling of the BT.

No stealing going on there either.

Watch out with your V710's - Verizon wants to also kill your transfer
to/from the TF card to protect the cash cow called GIN.

The V710 Debacle is one of many reasons why I ditched Verizon and went to
Cingular.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:15:28 PM

I purchased an XM radio, but it has zero value without paying the
subscription. I paid for an auto with on star but its useless unless I
pay the monthly charge. I paid for a PC but that does not give me the
right to all software with all features.

>From a Wall Street viewpoint your point had been made: Verizon will
have base of customers willing to pay for no phone services. Cingular
will be left with the nonpayers. Which business will win in the long
run?

By the way I never bothered with the TF card. The Verizon charges are
too low to go to the trouble. Also I can do something with my V710 you
cannot do with any Cingular phone. Make/receive a call anywhere in the
22 states I have traveled in. Maybe this is why Verizon has the lowest
churn and adding net customers faster than Cingular.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:15:32 PM

I purchased an XM radio, but it has zero value without paying the
subscription. I paid for an auto with on star but its useless unless I
pay the monthly charge. I paid for a PC but that does not give me the
right to all software with all features.

>From a Wall Street viewpoint your point had been made: Verizon will
have base of customers willing to pay for no phone services. Cingular
will be left with the nonpayers. Which business will win in the long
run?

By the way I never bothered with the TF card. The Verizon charges are
too low to go to the trouble. Also I can do something with my V710 you
cannot do with any Cingular phone. Make/receive a call anywhere in the
22 states I have traveled in. Maybe this is why Verizon has the lowest
churn and adding net customers faster than Cingular.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:05:34 AM

On 5/2/05 4:15 PM, in article
1115064928.567472.55340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "DoctorZ"
<czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> too low to go to the trouble. Also I can do something with my V710 you
> cannot do with any Cingular phone. Make/receive a call anywhere in the
> 22 states I have traveled in. Maybe this is why Verizon has the lowest
> churn and adding net customers faster than Cingular.
Uh, same here pal. I can make calls with my Cingular phone in places you
can't with your Verizon phone. I know because I carry both. Both have
their strengths and weaknesses.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:48:48 PM

There are areas with only GSM and other areas with only CDMA; however,
Verizon is still allowing true national plans allowing AMPS usage in
GSM areas only.

Cingular is going GSM only and offers no coverage in CDMA only areas.

Anyone can check the Wall Street Journal and other "real press" to
confirm Cingular's GSM only plan. Anyone can confirm Cingular is
selling GSM only phones in major metro areas.

I had both Cingular GAIT and Verizon tri-mode phones. Pre
Cingular/ATT&T merger both worked anywhere in the nation. Post merger
Cingular has decided to phase out TDMA, AMPS leaving just GSM coverage
without notification to effected customers.

I cancelled my last Cingular contract after twice traveling out of
states having zero coverage. When this happens Cingular has no way to
restore service until you are back in their GSM coverage area (another
state) to power cycle the phone. Customers no longer get voice mail and
you cannot forward your cell to another phone.

On the other hand a Verizon tri mode V710 still works nationally
including nonmetro/interstate areas. Maybe you only travel in GSM only
areas. Are you claiming to have traveled in 50 states? I have only been
in 22 states in the last year.

Even the companies own press releases confirm Cingular has the highest
complaint and churn rate. Cingular is adding net customer at a lower
rate than Verizon.

If your claim is correct why is Cingular doing so poorly?

Summary from recent Verizon and Cingular and other press releases:
Verizon Wireless Q12005 results: 1.64 million net customers, total 45.5

million customers, churn 1.33%, and complaints 1.4 per 100,000
customers.
(3G) EV-DO network, the largest and fastest wide-area broadband network

in the nation. This network reached 75 million Americans at year-end
(2004) and is growing steadily.
Cingular Q12005 results: : 1.4 million net, total 50.4 million
customers, churn 2.2%, 4.6 complaints
Per 100,000 customers, Cingular expects to have UMTS/HSDPA deployed in
15 to 20 markets by the end of the year. (2005).
Currently has the slowest of the data networks,