marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Call me crasy but a Shim is copper, the contacts an Athlon XP processor are on top (L1,L2 etc...), wouldnt putting a Copper shim on top of these contacts making a electrical connections & b****r up the processor ???

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
the shim I had was not copper, it was some kind of mineral compound.

--
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
-George Washington

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
could be how I killed my XP2000 then... mine seems to be copper !!!
it is labelled as an AMD XP Copper Shim !!!

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Your shim might have been too thick as well, keeping the heatsink off of the cpu. What exactly happened?

--
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
-George Washington

svol

Champion
If it isn't a copper shim specially made for the XP then don't use it as will short out (the ones made for the XP have gaps where the bridges are).
Also check if a shim is of the same height as the cor otherwise it will prevent the core from touching the HSF.

BTW shims don't add cooling capability and can only be usefull if you have a heavy HSF and move a lot to protect the CPU.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
thats why you should pick up a Tweakmonster anodized aluminum shim - I provide one with all of the systems I build (especially because I always use over-spec heatsinks, i mean, for $10 or $15 more between an OEM and a retail box and you've got yourself a better cooler than half of the ones they provide you with) and I think they're better than those copper ones, no worries about them shorting anything out or anything, and it just adds that extra stability to the core thats always good, especially for under $10

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
yeah.. you gotta be carefull with shimming your cpu.... need to get the orientation right and also watch the pressure on the die... always use thermal compound to also prevent shorts.. it sounds weird but hey it works...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
why would you put thermal paste to prevent shorts - i mean, where anyways ? if you mean on the cpu's bridges and such thats a pretty bad idea... why dirty it up like that, i mean a good shim won't conduct electricity anyways so no worries, just don't get a copper one, heh

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>