Zalman cnps6000 AL-Cu

Shadow_Seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
I read a lot of reviews some praising Zalman and quite a few not.

The Al-Cu version appears to be better than their other models for two reasons below 300g and (as Teq has been saying) Al-Cu combination gives better cooling performance.

Though I would like to know will it work well on stock speed xp2700?
Will it fit A7N8X?
If I did want to overclock would the placement of a 120mm papst fan do the job?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Took a look at it... it's another one of their bizarro flower pot coolers.

Here's what a good hybrid cooler looks like...

<A HREF="http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95" target="_new">http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95</A>

There are sound engineering reasons why these things are built in certain ways. A casting (the fins) is all one piece of metal, that makes it both more contuctive to heat and far less likely to corrode or spontaneously dissasemble itself. The fan is mounted on top blowing cold air down into the bottom of the sink, because most of the heat is at the bottom. Their fins are centered around the CPU so that heat is dispersed evenly in all directions... etc.

If I may suggest, you would do well to not get caught up in fancy appearance or glitzy advertising ... Heatsinks are a very basic and well understood device that have been around since the invention of power transistors (half a century). There are hundreds of millions of them in use in all types of electronic gear from consumer products all the way to aerospace applications. There is a reason the good ones all look more or less alike... that's what works.

Exotic designs may be interesting, just think how super-nifty that cooler will look in a windowed case with a couple of glow rods... oh my! Some of them may provide decent cooling but if system reliability is the issue they are neither worth the price nor will they outperform a heatsink of more traditional design...

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---