Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi
I am a newbie at overclocking and I was wondering how I safely overclock my geforce4 ti4200 128MB yet not sacrafice stability? I heard that powerstrip is a good program to use but I don't know what to do next. If anyone could show me a guide as to how to overclock this card it would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well all you need to do is incread the memory and core speed as much as you can untill you experience some stability issues... try increasing by 5 or 10 Mhz increments till you hit a problem, then cut down a little and try it out again... remember though that good card cooling and system ventialltion is key to good overclocking

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi, yes i forgot to mention I am gonna replace the fan with a thermaltake soon. I was wondering what utility to use? and what programs to run to do benchmarks that will tell me how much ive gained from OCing? Does GTU (geforce tweak utility support new driver versions like 4.0.7.2?

Thanks

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well I use RivaTuner and I think it works easiest and best, but use whichever software you like. As for a benchmark you can either use SiSoftware Sandra (I use SiSoft Sandra Pro)... its a burn-in test, stresses your systems components. You can also use Mad Onion's 3dMark2001 or 3DMark2003... this is probably the most popular video-card benchmark.. allows you to compare your score online to others as well. They also offer PCMark, which benchmark's your PC for comparative purposes as well. About GTU, it should support the newer drivers but I'm not positive.

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Thanks for ur help
Well I ran GTU and it works, but on their website ( dunno if its out of date ) they say that it only supports 29.6 or newer drivers. I will try RivaTuner and see if I like it. Do I need to do any to anything to my current drivers? I currently use the 40.72 version.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
nope, you can update the drivers as they come out, don't worry about it.

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
K Thanks, I played around with it but am afraid to OC it too high before I get a new fan. But I did some research and I found out that some ppl were able to OC the 64MB version of this card made by the same manufacturer to 315/600 .....Is it cuz the 64MB version comes with a higher memory speed ( it comes with 500mhz instead of 444mhz for the 128MB )? So what are the advantages of the 128MB over the 64MB?

Thanks for all your help!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well yeah, the fact that the 64mb card's memory runs at 500Mhz instead of 444Mhz is quiet a performance increase... basically they're able to overclock the card by 100Mhz which is a lot easier than overclocking the card by 156Mhz, think about it. Usually though, I would say that having the 128mb version of the card is better (because in high demanding games they require much memory for graphics processing) but with the G4 Ti4200 this is the case... But don't worry, your 128mb version will outperform the 64mb version, you can even check your scores on 3D-Mark and see. The key to OCing your RAM will be good RAM cooling as well btw, so you should look into some nice heatsinks for it - my favorites are <A HREF="http://www.tweakmonster.com" target="_new">TweakMonster RAM-sinks[</A> but they be can a little costly (most places overcharge for them - private msg me if you'd like some, I can get them cheaper). Anyways, there are a few other manufacturers of these but I personally think that these are the best (thermaltake makes some, so does CoolerMaster, Alpha and there's plenty of OEM).
About OC it too high, a good rule of thumb is to literally open up the case when gaming with a newly OC'ed card and touch the heatsink and underside of the card (right underneath, or actually above b/c of the AGP position, the GPU) to see how hot it is. Basically, if its too hot to keep your hand on, then it is too hot and therefore too overclocked to be good for the card's health, so bring it down - warm is good, boiling hot is not, same rule as CPUs, same temperature margins so you can even compare the temperatures between the two for a refference point. You might notice it runs pretty hot already since most card manufacturers put cheap heatsinks on their cards that barely cut it.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well basically, the software OC changes the NVidia registery settings to increas performance, while the low level hardware OC makes changes allowing for pure hardware OC. You can check-out a bunch of the features for RivaTuner <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/" target="_new">here</A>.

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Well I ran 3dmark03 but I was wondering how i could find out if my card supports DX9 since I heard from some other forum that it doesn't ; therefore running 3dmark03 wouldn't be good for it. I scored pretty low like 1305 stock not OCed....low compared to these other systems above 2.0 ghz and OC'ed to 315/500-600s I might need to invest in some case fans since my CPU is pretty hot around high 40sC under load and I have a volcano 7+ on it =\ Ive been looking into the thermaltake giantII ( i dun think its out yet? ) for card cooler. It pretty much covers the whole card using heat pipe system? So I dunno if I will still need ram sinks? Thanks for all ur help. Ive leanrt a lot of new things about overclocking, this is a big frist step for me since I've been having non stop problems with my epox mb i just liked to keep things normal to be safe. Greatly appreciate ur time, thanks!

ChestRockwell

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
Hey

I have a Leadtek Winfast Ti4200 (128MB). The stock GPU/RAM clocks are 250/513. The card comes literally covered in heatsink. (Only 1 fan though), has anyone pushed theirs with the stock cooling?? How far?? I have tried using the Coolbits Registry edit and the OCing program that came with the card (Winfox or someting, WinFox is as annoying as hell though) Usually I chicken out around 260/530. Quite pathetic, but if I lose the card I am very very screwed.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Geforce 4s are DX8 cards, not DX9. You cant make use of DX9 features, but you will be able to play games written for DX9.
I've got a ti4200 and at the moment I'm thinking about selling it and getting a radeon 9500 pro instead. They are not much more cash but from what I've seen they are quite a bit better... Much faster when you use anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. And they are DX9 compatible.

By the way, I use powerstrip low level overclocking to get my card running at 300/600 quite happily with no strange screen artifacts. When you get those, you know you have gone too far..

In my experience, after market graphics card coolers sometimes do not make any real difference, its sometimes better to spend your money on a better card in the first place ;)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS