Earthlink Wireless

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2005 7:35:31 AM

Anyone know anything about this CDMA wireless phone network? I just heard of
it.

Is it just repackaging of Sprint?

More about : earthlink wireless

April 28, 2005 11:39:26 AM

Repackaging of Verizon Wireless Internet though they do not explicitly say so
anywhere.

http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/

If you are talking about their new Internet Phone Service then:

http://www.unlimitedvoice.com/

Shiva

"Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
> Anyone know anything about this CDMA wireless phone network? I just heard of
> it.
>
> Is it just repackaging of Sprint?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2005 3:05:38 PM

"Shiva" <shiva@universe.cosmos> wrote in message
news:o q0ce.489$HL2.219@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Repackaging of Verizon Wireless Internet though they do not explicitly say
> so anywhere.
>
> http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/
>
> If you are talking about their new Internet Phone Service then:
>
> http://www.unlimitedvoice.com/

This is repackaged Vonage VoIP, marked up $5.00 per month.

> Shiva
>

> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone know anything about this CDMA wireless phone network? I just heard
>> of
>> it.
>>
>> Is it just repackaging of Sprint?

a b F Wireless
April 28, 2005 7:14:08 PM

Shiva answered:
> Repackaging of Verizon Wireless Internet though they do not explicitly say so
> anywhere.
>
> http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/

Ummm Earthlink uses SPRINT not Verizon.
--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

That's rather odd.

I was looking over at an associate's laptop with an Earthlink Wireless
connection some time ago. The DUN detailed the username as <phone#>@vzw.com.
Also, as he said, he had called Earthlink technical support once for dropping
out of the signal while in another city - and was told that the Earthlink
connection would work anywhere Verizon had service!

Or, maybe we were mistaken. Unfortunately I cannot verify that now because that
laptop owner switched to Verizon EV-DO like what I have now. I think Verizon
EV-DO itself uses VodaPhone technology. Or at least that's what the VZAccess
Manager I have on my machine shows.

From a news report last month or so, I seem to remember that Earthlink is going
into EV-DO in collaboration with Sprint, probaby from later this year.

Regards.

Shiva

"Casper" <"The Friendly"@Ghost.com> wrote in message
> Shiva answered:
>> Repackaging of Verizon Wireless Internet though they do not explicitly say
>> so
>> anywhere.
>>
>> http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/
>>
> Ummm Earthlink uses SPRINT not Verizon.
> --
> *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> ((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:- Michael -:¦:-
> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2005 9:21:07 PM

Of course it is Verizon. The previous post was mistaken by saying it is
Sprint.
Sprint at one time or still does own EarthLink and you would think they
would use that network first.

> That's rather odd.
>
> I was looking over at an associate's laptop with an Earthlink Wireless
> connection some time ago. The DUN detailed the username as
> <phone#>@vzw.com. Also, as he said, he had called Earthlink technical
> support once for dropping out of the signal while in another city - and
> was told that the Earthlink connection would work anywhere Verizon had
> service!
>
> Or, maybe we were mistaken. Unfortunately I cannot verify that now because
> that laptop owner switched to Verizon EV-DO like what I have now. I think
> Verizon EV-DO itself uses VodaPhone technology. Or at least that's what
> the VZAccess Manager I have on my machine shows.
>
> From a news report last month or so, I seem to remember that Earthlink is
> going into EV-DO in collaboration with Sprint, probaby from later this
> year.
>
> Regards.
>
> Shiva
>

> "Casper" <"The Friendly"@Ghost.com> wrote in message
>> Shiva answered:
>>> Repackaging of Verizon Wireless Internet though they do not explicitly
>>> say so
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/
>>>
>> Ummm Earthlink uses SPRINT not Verizon.
>> --
>> *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
>> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
>> ((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:- Michael -:¦:-
>> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2005 9:21:08 PM

Hot Rod wrote:
> Of course it is Verizon. The previous post was mistaken by saying it is
> Sprint.
> Sprint at one time or still does own EarthLink and you would think they
> would use that network first.

Sprint never owned Earthlink outright, at least not as a majority owner. They
have, over the years, had marketing partnerships. They may have held or
continue to hold some percentage of Earthlink's outstanding stock shares. But
that's about it.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2005 5:37:27 AM

At one time EarthLink had the Sprint logo incorporated in it. Might have
been quite awhile ago though

news:D 4uihs$r9r$4@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Hot Rod wrote:
>> Of course it is Verizon. The previous post was mistaken by saying it is
>> Sprint.
>> Sprint at one time or still does own EarthLink and you would think they
>> would use that network first.
>
> Sprint never owned Earthlink outright, at least not as a majority owner.
> They have, over the years, had marketing partnerships. They may have held
> or continue to hold some percentage of Earthlink's outstanding stock
> shares. But that's about it.
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2005 5:47:35 AM

Steve, from a long time ago,,,

Sprint, EarthLink loosen the bonds of their alliance
Last modified:February 9, 2001, 8:10 AM PST
By Tiffany Kary
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

TrackBack Print E-mail

update EarthLink and Sprint reworked the terms of their 1998 alliance Friday
so that both parties are open to third-party agreements.
The companies said that they have ended the exclusive terms of the alliance
and Sprint's right to acquire the Internet service provider, which was set
to go into effect in September 2001. Sprint will keep the right to respond
to third-party acquisition offers with an offer of its own, the companies
said.

Shares of Internet service provider EarthLink were up $1.03 to $9.94, or
11.56 percent on the Island ECN in pre-market trading. Long distance company
Sprint saw shares move down $0.37 to $24.28 Friday morning.

The deal was struck back in the days when dial-up was the only thing to
consider; EarthLink may now be looking for agreements with other companies
to boost its DSL and broadband business.

On a conference call, analysts pestered the company regarding what kind of
deals it would now make, and how soon they will come about. EarthLink CEO
Garry Betty said it's hard to say, since the Sprint agreement has scared off
other companies from discussions for the past three years.

When the companies first partnered three years ago, EarthLink's alliance
with the long-distance company was seen as a boon. By partnering with
Sprint, EarthLink could gain credibility and subscribers by hanging out with
a well-established long-distance giant. Excite@Home made a similar move with
AT&T and other cable giants.

Dot-coms and their established partners are rethinking such terms since
Internet valuations have plunged and companies have been forced to seek
other options and partners.

EarthLink has also said it will take a noncash charge of $11.3 million for
the changes in the first quarter to write off intangible assets from the
alliance.

Sprint will continue to own shares of EarthLink, but it has given up seats
on the company's board. Other changes include the removal of the requirement
that the companies co-brand their Internet offerings and reworkings of
customer acquisition commitments.

In the short term, Sprint will continue to market the EarthLink-Sprint
co-branded service to its dial-up customers, but in the future, it may
market EarthLink's Internet application as Sprint services.

Sprint generally cannot increase its ownership percentage of EarthLink, but
it does have the option to maintain its current position whenever EarthLink
issues new shares.

Shares of EarthLink were up 59 cents to $9.50, a rise of 7 percent, on the
Island ECN in premarket trading. Sprint saw shares close down 62 cents to
$24.65 Thursday.

Jefferies & Company analyst Frederick W. Moran upgraded EarthLink Friday on
the news. He lifted his rating to "buy" from "hold," and raised his price
target to $15 from $12.

The analyst also said that based on several recent developments, he believes
a strategic transaction between EarthLink and Microsoft may be imminent.
Given the AOL Time Warner merger, Microsoft's MSN will need to enhance its
ISP operations in order to compete. MSN's heavy efforts to grow ISP
subscribers over the last year, combined with its recently announced plans
to revoke its $400 rebate program and today's announcement of the amended
terms of the EarthLink-Sprint alliance, are all evidence the two could
partner, Moran said.

begin 666 trackbackred_15x13.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`-`+,.`)D``-#0T,_/S_GY^>[N[N/CX\C(R*RLK.GIZ;R\O,+"
MPO___]+2TO3T]/___P```"'Y! $```X`+ `````/``T```1'T,E)J[TX2\ !
M&4[G@8 0! )0`">JLF+,I26PE((9V#4LBRD""[4[L'+%P:IS4#!$38?2D$@8
3"HT"U5J0# @(Q$<*%H,TE @`.P``
`
end

begin 666 printred_15x13.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`-`+,*`)D``-#0T/___[R\O-'1T<_/S\W-S>[N[OGY^>GIZ?__
M_P```````````````````"'Y! $```H`+ `````/``T```1)4 A JSU(22![
M!\:A39X'#(E2E1]U``01S$0QWR 0%(1%[8&3[K:SR6;"0,_W"PZ&,>5-UGL&
5F95"4CH%:I]8YN!@&)C/:+,A`@`[
`
end

begin 666 emailred_15x13.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`-`+,+`)D``-#0T/___[R\O-'1T>GIZ<_/S^[N[LW-S?[^_OGY
M^?___P```````````````"'Y! $```L`+ `````/``T```1*<,E)ZP(XZWPN
M2$(HAAAR!< H`NAPHBK;7H8!DX%!`"Z@$S `,,>C!8X&EBVPZ^680^B,!=0Q
6K].-MGA #+[@\,"D.!3.Z'3A$ $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2005 2:47:26 PM

Hot Rod wrote:

> The companies said that they have ended the exclusive terms of the alliance
> and Sprint's right to acquire the Internet service provider, which was set
> to go into effect in September 2001.

Exactly. :)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 1, 2005 12:52:35 PM

Shiva answered:
> That's rather odd.
>
> I was looking over at an associate's laptop with an Earthlink Wireless
> connection some time ago. The DUN detailed the username as <phone#>@vzw.com.
> Also, as he said, he had called Earthlink technical support once for dropping
> out of the signal while in another city - and was told that the Earthlink
> connection would work anywhere Verizon had service!
>
> Or, maybe we were mistaken. Unfortunately I cannot verify that now because that
> laptop owner switched to Verizon EV-DO like what I have now. I think Verizon
> EV-DO itself uses VodaPhone technology. Or at least that's what the VZAccess
> Manager I have on my machine shows.
>
> From a news report last month or so, I seem to remember that Earthlink is going
> into EV-DO in collaboration with Sprint, probaby from later this year.
>
> Regards.
>
> Shiva

My wife and I have Earthlink. We investigated their wireless, and was
told it uses Sprint. Things may have changed. I know we geet a few
bucks off our Earthlink Bill every month because we are using Sprint PCS
and Sprint at home, for our LD wired calling.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 1, 2005 12:59:29 PM

Hot Rod answered:
> Of course it is Verizon. The previous post was mistaken by saying it is
> Sprint.
> Sprint at one time or still does own EarthLink and you would think they
> would use that network first.

WRONG!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 2, 2005 7:29:44 PM

Casper wrote:

>>http://www.earthlink.com/wireless/laptop/cell/
>>

> Ummm Earthlink uses SPRINT not Verizon.

Actually, they contract with both. So you could be either on Verizon or
Sprint's network when using the service.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
a b F Wireless

Hot Rod wrote:
> Of course it is Verizon. The previous post was mistaken by saying it is
> Sprint.
> Sprint at one time or still does own EarthLink and you would think they
> would use that network first.

No, Sprint has never owned earthlink. Sprint back in 1999 sold off
their dialup ISP division to Earthlink and engaged in a "strategic
marketing partnership" with them until about 2002.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.