• PC gaming
  • Gaming
  • Mice
  • Starcraft 2
  • Battlefield
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
November 16, 2012 8:43:00 AM

My budget is between $30-$50. I play games like Borderlands 2, League of Legends, BF3, Starcraft 2 and Darksiders 2.
I'm used to the palm grip design mouse because my hands are big. It is okay if the mouse is durable, comfortable and jittery. You know what I mean?
Please help me find one?

More about : gaming mouse

November 16, 2012 9:58:30 AM

I love the R.A.T 7. Very adjustable for different types of grips and has a high DPI for accuracy.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2012 12:52:14 PM

darth pravus said:
I love the R.A.T 7. Very adjustable for different types of grips and has a high DPI for accuracy.

High DPI does not have anything to do with accuracy. And that mouse is twice over outside of his price range. Did you even read his post? Do you even understand technical specifications about different mice?

OP, the best mouse for a right hand* palm gripper in your price range is the Logitech G400 as long as it fits your hand. You can try one out at any local Best Buy, and they retail for about $39.99. Stop by a store if you can and put your hand on one to see if it's what you're looking for. The optical sensor in it is the finest one on the market for the time being.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I might have also recommended a Razer Deathadder but since Razer has been exposed for using Synapse 2.0 software for datamining their customers behind their backs while they use their computers, I'd say they have earned the blacklist.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 16, 2012 12:54:42 PM

casualcolors said:
High DPI does not have anything to do with accuracy. And that mouse is twice over outside of his price range. Did you even read his post? Do you even understand technical specifications about different mice?

OP, the best mouse for a right hand* palm gripper in your price range is the Logitech G400 as long as it fits your hand. You can try one out at any local Best Buy, and they retail for about $39.99. Stop by a store if you can and put your hand on one to see if it's what you're looking for. The optical sensor in it is the finest one on the market for the time being.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I might have also recommended a Razer Deathadder but since Razer has been exposed for using Synapse 2.0 software for datamining their customers behind their backs while they use their computers, I'd say they have earned the blacklist.

I didn't know the US price. It has a high polling rate and a high quality sensor. Panasonic if I remember. I did not mean to imply that the DPI was for accuracy. Very poorly worded on my part. I apologize.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2012 1:02:25 PM

darth pravus said:
I didn't know the US price. It has a high polling rate and a high quality sensor. Panasonic if I remember. I did not mean to imply that the DPI was for accuracy. Very poorly worded on my part. I apologize.

Almost all mice offer the 1000hz polling rate these days. It's considered ubiquitous.

Its sensor is considered one of the worst on the market currently. Attaching a namebrand to that doesn't improve it.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:12:34 PM

casualcolors said:
Almost all mice offer the 1000hz polling rate these days. It's considered ubiquitous.

Its sensor is considered one of the worst on the market currently. Attaching a namebrand to that doesn't improve it.

Fair enough. I am just speaking from experience. I've always had smooth precise tracking for years from it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 16, 2012 1:16:39 PM

Well yes, the thing to consider though is that all things are relative when it comes to peripheral tech. All mice are precise to the point that they can reasonably move the cursor, but the difference between the tech becomes a bit more exposed once they are subjected to testing and then a price comparison is considered in lieu of that testing.
m
l
November 17, 2012 6:18:32 PM

Try Powerlogic alien g11
m
l
November 17, 2012 6:39:17 PM

I'm a big fan of the mx518. It should fall right in your price range and it also has a nice grip. Only thing is that it is quite old already, so maybe you are looking for something more recent.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2012 6:48:55 PM

Hatless_Hybrid said:
I'm a big fan of the mx518. It should fall right in your price range and it also has a nice grip. Only thing is that it is quite old already, so maybe you are looking for something more recent.

The G400, that has been mentioned earlier, is almost identical to the mx518. It is the same shape with the same button layout, only it has higher DPI and poll rate. I can also attest that it tracks very nicely. The only thing I disliked about it was I have grown accustomed to using tilting on the middle mouse button that some other mice have added.
m
l
November 17, 2012 6:57:18 PM

If you find the razer naga at your price range id go for it.It has a left num pad on it with configurable button from 1 to 12 + the normal left and right button.Great to keep your keyboard hand free for moving or just doing nothing.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2012 7:02:45 PM

Just be aware of the Razer Naga and G600, they aren't for everyone. I have tried them and hated the experience for about a week. There are those who like them too, but be sure to test one before you commit, and they are out of the price range mentioned by the OP.
m
l
November 17, 2012 8:04:46 PM

bystander said:
The G400, that has been mentioned earlier, is almost identical to the mx518. It is the same shape with the same button layout, only it has higher DPI and poll rate. I can also attest that it tracks very nicely. The only thing I disliked about it was I have grown accustomed to using tilting on the middle mouse button that some other mice have added.

Alright, I wasn't aware that the g400 is basically a better specced mx518!
m
l
November 17, 2012 9:05:13 PM

I broke the middle button on my mouse on Wednesday and went to buy a new one on Thursday. I got interested in Logitech G300 and G400, then spent almost an hour trying to decide which one is better. I decided to buy G300 because it has adjustable lighting and more buttons. With G300 it's possible to make many button profiles for each game and even associate different lights with different button configurations. For example, you can make one button configuration with blue light, another with yellow light, and a third one with green light. The ability to change the light really helps to keep in mind which configuration is being used at the moment, and it is possible to assign one of the nine buttons to change between these three configurations during a game. You can also choose one key on the keyboard which allows to switch between many different sets of configurations within the same game, so you can have really many of them.
m
l
November 17, 2012 9:28:23 PM

G300 is a really nice mouse and I am happy that I chose G300 instead of G400. Before this Thursday I had only "ordinary" mice with three regular buttons but learning how to set up profiles and assigning key strokes and macros was actually very quick and easy with this mouse. LED lightning helps a lot to remember the button configurations and there are 6-8 different choices for light configurations to choose from (green, yellow, red, light blue, blue, purple, white and no light)

Someone made a good review of G300:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcu4R2iTr6U

As far as I know, G400 doesn't offer such features.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2012 9:55:13 PM

G400 only offers the MX518 shape with the best optical sensor on the market (and honestly, the best sensor on the market period), at a reasonable price point. It doesn't have bells and whistles, just the nuts and bolts that make a great mouse.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 3:20:39 AM

Morton said:
G300 is a really nice mouse and I am happy that I chose G300 instead of G400. Before this Thursday I had only "ordinary" mice with three regular buttons but learning how to set up profiles and assigning key strokes and macros was actually very quick and easy with this mouse. LED lightning helps a lot to remember the button configurations and there are 6-8 different choices for light configurations to choose from (green, yellow, red, light blue, blue, purple, white and no light)

Someone made a good review of G300:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcu4R2iTr6U

As far as I know, G400 doesn't offer such features.

I personally would never use the 300 over the 400, but again, that's my personal opinion. The reason is that the G400 has 2 buttons for the thumb to use, the G300 does not. It instead has buttons for the index finger, which makes them much more difficult to use, as you cannot left click and click one of those buttons.

Having thumb buttons for extra programability is more efficient.
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:39:11 AM

allen47 said:
My budget is between $30-$50. I play games like Borderlands 2, League of Legends, BF3, Starcraft 2 and Darksiders 2.
I'm used to the palm grip design mouse because my hands are big. It is okay if the mouse is durable, comfortable and jittery. You know what I mean?
Please help me find one?

Correction
Not jittery
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:45:31 AM

Lol, my brother told me not to buy a gamimg mouse and keyboard because it's the same. I said "okay" but in my mind " no, it's not the same. Your not a gamer so you don't know anything about gaming."
He plays League of Legends too but not any other game.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 4:04:53 AM

A good mouse will be good for desktop use as well. The mouse pointer just tracks better, and you can program the extra keys to make desktop activities easier.

The gaming keyboard may be less needed, but for games, they often improve certain areas of the keyboard to be able to read more key presses at a time. For gaming, that is generally around the WASD keys. The macroing abilities on the keyboard can also benefit productivity.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:29:33 AM

allen47 said:
Lol, my brother told me not to buy a gamimg mouse and keyboard because it's the same. I said "okay" but in my mind " no, it's not the same. Your not a gamer so you don't know anything about gaming."
He plays League of Legends too but not any other game.

Actually for the most part, he's right. The number one thing defining "gaming mice" from just high quality normal mice, is marketing and different shades of mountain dew green.

Gaming mouse or gaming keyboard or gaming gear is just a dumb moniker that's developed so guys who once had careers marketing Xbox peripherals can now sell you poorly assembled chinese plastic products as if they were the ultimate foehammer. What matters is just that your keyboard and mouse are good in general, not that they are "gamer" good or whatever.
m
l
November 21, 2012 3:14:04 AM

Okay, problem solved. I don't need a gaming mouse or keyboard.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2012 2:17:27 PM

casualcolors said:
Actually for the most part, he's right. The number one thing defining "gaming mice" from just high quality normal mice, is marketing and different shades of mountain dew green.

Gaming mouse or gaming keyboard or gaming gear is just a dumb moniker that's developed so guys who once had careers marketing Xbox peripherals can now sell you poorly assembled chinese plastic products as if they were the ultimate foehammer. What matters is just that your keyboard and mouse are good in general, not that they are "gamer" good or whatever.

While your sentiment is somewhat correct, there are differences other than visual.

Gaming keyboards, for example, have specially wired keyboards to be able to except more key presses at a time in areas gamers press keys a lot. Non-gaming keyboards may only be able to read 2 or 3 keys around the wasd keys, while a gaming keyboard is designed to accept up to 5 in that area.

Also, gaming mice tend to have higher polling rates than non-gaming mice and more buttons to apply macros to, but you are right in the fact that it doesn't matter if it is called a gaming mouse. If it has those spec's, it will work well. It is just far more common on gaming mice.
m
l
November 21, 2012 2:40:12 PM

I would stay away from Razer mice only because Razer Synapse. It is horrible. I'm taking my Deathadder 3500 back and getting either a G400 ($40) or a G500 ($60).

My old mouse was a Logitech MX510 and it was the best mouse I ever used, had it for 8 years. The G400 / G500 use the same shell but the sensor and buttons have been upgraded through the series.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2012 3:11:43 PM

bystander said:
While your sentiment is somewhat correct, there are differences other than visual.

Gaming keyboards, for example, have specially wired keyboards to be able to except more key presses at a time in areas gamers press keys a lot. Non-gaming keyboards may only be able to read 2 or 3 keys around the wasd keys, while a gaming keyboard is designed to accept up to 5 in that area.

I'm sorry but NKRO is not a "gaming" feature. That's a typist feature, and all good typists' keyboards have full NKRO. Ironically, the majority of "gaming" keyboards don't have anything beyond 6KRO, most at 2 or 4KRO.

And as far as macros, this will be a point of opinion but I've played quite a few different titles in different genres competitively at this point, and if you look around at people who are actually pro gamers right now and attending tournaments, all of them comprise the top 0.1% of their game's respective community and none of them are using macro functionality for a combination of reasons; 1. because it is not allowed in most tournament play and 2. because they didn't learn to play that way and they don't believe in altering a working formula that they rely on to earn money. Personally I think macro functionality can be a cool quality-of-life function for someone who needs to automate an action like crafting in an MMO, but I don't know anyone in any competitive scene or top clan or top guild that actually uses these macro functions as part of their routine gameplay. It just takes control of a series of inputs out of your hands, and no good player wants that when things count.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2012 3:38:30 PM

I may have used the word macro loosely. Simply having extra buttons to put keys presses on is useful.

As far as NKRO goes, if you can find one that supports 5 keys for the whole keyboard, great, but generally, keyboards don't. What I was saying is gaming keyboards will focus giving extra keys being down around the WASD keys, where gamers use the keyboard the most, while most keyboards won't.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2012 3:42:54 PM

bystander said:
I may have used the word macro loosely. Simply having extra buttons to put keys presses on is useful.

As far as NKRO goes, if you can find one that supports 5 keys for the whole keyboard, great, but generally, keyboards don't. What I was saying is gaming keyboards will focus giving extra keys being down around the WASD keys, where gamers use the keyboard the most, while most keyboards won't.

It's still a copout on the part of non-PS2 keyboards not to include it, since the Sidewinder x4 is a clear demonstration that it's possible on a usb keyboard.
m
l