Problems booting windows 7

technosapien330

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Okay so here's the deal. I recently finished building my computer about 3 weeks ago. I didn't have the scratch to fork over to buy windows 7, so I went ahead and installed ubuntu 10.04 as a substitue till I got windows 7. Now I have a copy of it, I made a new partition table in my HDD and booted the disc. I got to the installation section, but I was given an error message, aparentlly it needs drivers for my dvd rom drive and to insert a driver disc (which I don't have, I bought it OEM) so I desided to just try and boot again. But nothing happens.

I've tried EVERYTHINGG I can think of to at leasst get my computer to start booting win 7 again, let alone install. I've tried reinstalling ubuntu, re doing my partitions. After the first attempt now all it will do when it tries to boot from my optical drive it just sits at the black screen with the flashing cursor for all eternity.

Any ideas what's wrong? I would really love so help on this one

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I just don't understand why you would need drivers for the DVD-ROM drive, unless it's a light scribe or something special. Sounds like something is defective. Do you have a RAID controller built into your motherboard? If so, perhaps it is interfering with the installation and requesting a driver for the RAID controller. What make/model motherboard?