Coolermaster Aero 7/ASB-V73 With Radial Fan

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Alright!!! Innovation in coolers!!! Score!
This looks cool, and in theory it could be really good. THG just showed it as part of their CeBIT report. The theory is that a standard fan concentrates the air on the center instead of distributing it all around. This CoolerMaster is supposed to distribute airflow equally. Any thoughts? Thanks to all who respond!

<Brendini>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah, but you overlook one thing - radial fans like that are bloody loud

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah, but thats probably with the fan not mounted onto the heatsink and at 10 feet away ;) i mean, these companies have their inconsistencies when it comes to measuring fan noise, and I'd love to see that heatsink really stay at 35db in a real-use environment. Besides, you might-as-well go for a TMD fan so get the same airflow idea they are promotting with that.

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Sorry for being an idiot (wait, I realized it. Yay! I'm not an idiot) but what's a TMD fan? Is it one of those fans that blows all the air into a centralized spot? I've probably seen one without knowing what to call it, but if you could give a quick defanitiono that would be greato.

<Brendini>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well dude, a TMD fan is a Tip Magnetic Drive fan that uses magnets mounted on the rim of the fan (the blades are attatched to a circular rim) and electromagnets attatched to the fan body to make the fan spin instead of using a standard DC motor. Basically the good thing about this is that it is a little quieter b/c of less pressure on the center bearings (also the magnets help balance the blades) and you forfeit the "dead spot" in the middle of the fan where there is no airflow (where the motor is)... TMD fans typically push more air at lower speeds as well, though it depends on the blade design. You can check-out the main manufacturer for these fans, <A HREF="http://www.ystech.com.tw/Tmd/tmd-0.htm" target="_new">Y.S-Tech</A> - they have a bunch of info.

zekin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2003
According to Cooler Master's reply, it's from 23dba (lowest) to 45 dba (highest).

It's more than enough to adjust the speed at middle point at most times to get you the performance (becoz the better air pressure it can give), and it's silent.

Only those who doesn't care about noise and want extreme cooling would go for highest setting.

So it's nice to see they finally made something that make both overclockers and silence lover happy.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Mehhh, I'm still not convinced, but we'll see when some reviews get written on it, or maybe i can put my hands on one n check it out... and thats still not too quiet - fans are rated off of the heatsink, which means that you've got to factor in the noise from the restricted airlfow and all = somewhere around 35db on low AT LEAST... i mean have you ever heard a radial fan ? its f*ckin loud, no matter what you tell me... its the way that the air flows in it, you hear more of the "sucking" sound we're all used to with a case that negative air pressure inside