XP 2500+ OC questions

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Here are a few simple questions>

1. What is the normal operating tempature of the XP 2500?
2. What is the maximal Operating tempature the XP 2500 without losing performance.
3. What is a good OC voltage to use. I'm using 1.85 right now.

Just curious

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, your Voltage sounds a lil high, but what are you OCing to? As for the temps, how shall i put this... the best operating temp is 0*Kelvin - low enough for ya ? Thats -273*Celcius... get there and then feel free to stick your FSB to 500Mhz, heh. but really, most people try to keep their temps under 50*C, and the AMD specs for maximum temp rating is 85*C... but to tell you the truth, you'd probably start noticing its effects once you reached 60*C or 65*C (i know i do). As for the normal operating temp - that all depends on your heatsink, your case ventilation, and on and on and on.. if you can gimme a couple more specifics i can give you an idea of what you *should* be hittin'... or you can figure-out the core temp yourself... just take your ambient (or "case temp") and add it to the wattage output of your CPU (yours is just shy of 70Watts at maximum) times the C/W rating of your heatsink and fan... for example, a Swiftech MCX462 with Vantec Tornado is (don't be mad if i'm not perfectly correct with this number) i believe 0.52 C/W (degrees celcius/watts). Now lest say your ambient is 20*C... 20*C + (70W x 0.52C/W) = 56.4*C... add some case cooling and you can probably lower that temp somethin good. Anyways, if you want to know more, give me some more specifics and i can try n help out

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
The problem with 0 Kelvin is that nothing moves at absolute zero. That is the definition, even electrons don't move at 0 Kelvin, which would make one helluva slow computer!!! :D

I'll stick with -30F (Alaska) or liquid nitrogern in the summer......

J/K

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Skligmund on 03/21/03 04:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Indeed... but at 0 K you will also get something called superconducting. As all movements stop the atoms kinda fall together giving you zero resistance... in theory.

But for semi-conductors you want to stay far away from 0 K... as they turn into isolators at really cold temps instead of conductors.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well dude, the trick is that it wouldn't be true 0*K... just a couple of degrees above. I mean, electrons would move without resistance at around 0*K, and yeah, stop at absolute 0 - my mistake for not being more specific. I'll re-state :)

"The best temperature to runa computer at would be just above 0 kelvin, somewhere around -250*Celcius"
heheh

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

svol

Champion
Too bad that doesn't count for semi-conductors where PC are build off... they become isolators at very low temps.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: