GA-8INXP not stable!!!

jiannu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
My system is a P-4,2.4Gb.,2Gb(333)ram,200Gb H.d,S.B.Audigy,Ati9700Pro,GA-8INXP,400W power supply, Win. XP.Pro(SP1)+DX9+latest drivers(Catalyst 3.2).My 3dmark2001 scores are 13900-14000.That is satisfactory considering the hardware I have.I should be in the 15000+. Ever since I put this system together it has been very unstable! I even did a reformat on the system & still I get crashes. Either it will freeze & I'll have to reset or the resolution will drop down to 640x480,I'll have to reboot & I'll get a error message saying my video device failed pionting to my ATI 9700Pro & or its drivers. So I replaced the card with a new one & re-installed the drivers & still it CRASHES!!! I don't know what to do? This is driving me INSANE! I'm thinking of replacing the no-name 400w power supply with a name brand. If that doesn't cure the problem, I'm going to switch to the GA-SINXP. If that fails I'm going to take up another hobbie!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah, replace the PSU, IMHO it should fix yur problems... and maybe even up it to 460W instead, that system chugs a lot of juice.
Do the crashes happen during certain circumstances or.. ?

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

jiannu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PSU OR THE IMHO IS? THESE CRASHES HAPPEN AT ANY TIME,INTERNET,DESKTOP,GAMING.THEY ARE VERY ANNOYING!I TRIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING! I'M GOING TO CHANGE BOARDS TO THE SIS655 CHIPSET(GA-SINXP). EVER SINCE I PUT THIS SYSTEM TOGETHER(GA-8INXP+ATI9700PRO) IT'S BEEN CRASHING & I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM!!! I HAD A 845HV+ATI9700 & IT WAS FINE,NO CRASHES, SO UNLESS SOMEONE CAN CONVINCE ME, I'M GOING WITH THE GA-SINXP(SIS655)

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
oh sorry, PSU is Power Supply Unit and IMHO is In My Humble Opinion

well the thing is is that your system really does suck a lot of juice, and without a name-brand power supply it might just be that. i would really test-out the computer with another power supply (this time an enermax or an antec, even a thermaltake or vantec) and see if that helps before buying a new board

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

jiannu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I'm going to take your idea & act on it. The power supply is the last straw. I'm going to change it & if it still CRASHES then the GA-8INXP is going to get CHUCKED!!! Replaced with the GA-SINXP 1394. Do you have any other sugestions?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
nope ! if it doesn't work, i think i can safely say happy chuckin' :smile:

OCuser

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
Definitly change the PSU, I've had smilliar problems before and it turned out to be PSU. But maybe check your RAM too. As far as Gigabyte products go, I had a GA-7VAXP and had nothing but problems with it. I updated the BIOS (which is something else you should try) and It did solve some of the problems, but if I overclocked at all, even just a little, I still had problems. If you do get abother mobo try something other than Gigabyte.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If your gonna chuck it, make sure it lands near me :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>