Vantec Aeroflow Good enough for overclocking?

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I'm looking to setup an Nforce2 computer with a 1700 in a ThermalTake Xaser III case. Will the Aeroflow provide good ocd'ing options? If not then I'll just go all out and get a thermalright SLK900 and a vantec tornado, and have a fan speed controller on the tornado. Thanks to all who respond!

<Brendini>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
be carefull about the 900, it won't fit some mobo's, including nForce2 boards. I'm running that aeroflow heatsink now on my system right now, it does a good job, i oc'ed my 2100+b to 2800+ and it goes around 37~44C. I'd call it a decent cooler

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Wowzers!! Unless I'm grossly mistaken, that sounds great! I would definatley go for the Aeroflow then. I won't have to deal with CPU shims and all of that complicated mounting crap that those massive heatsinks require. What fsb speed are you running at? I want (if possible) to get my 1700 to a fsb speed of 333 so it's identical to the RAM speed. Thanks for the response

<Brendini>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i'm running a 2100+b @ 166*13.5, so yes i'm running the FSB at 166 or 333 ^_^

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well dude, the aeroflow is still big enough that i think it needs a shim, i've got one and i don't doubt that a few other people have 'em too - its just a lil more safety for under 10 bucks. But i dunno, I mean i'm usin a palamino 1600 core @ 1.4 and i hit temps of about 36*C on idle and up to 45*C under load and its ohk but load... i've got it plugged into my vantec nexus fan controller, and if i turn it down (to 7V) its silent enough, but the cooling is sh*t - i mean i can hit above 40*C on idle... thats why, slap on an slk800/900 and a nice n quiet panaflo and you can keep yur idle temps below 40*C definitely... i duno, if i had the choice again... not to say that the aeroflow is a really nice heatsink, i think that it just needs to be a bit bigger in size, a lil more copper and a better fan (yeah, i know i might be the only person to not like TMD fans but i've tried and tested so yeah..).

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

svol

Champion
I don't like TMD fans either as they seem to be much more fragile. And the first TMD fans had a high failere rate.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i do have to agree with you, if their going to stick a fan on there, it needs to be 80mm, otherwise the aeroflow is fine, and i haven't seen any heatsink that requires a shim, acually i recomend against them -_- Either way it's a good fan, maybe i'll get a vantec stealth 80mm fan and find a way to stick it on top of the heatsink...

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
it wouldn't be that hard to do... the way the heatsink is designed you could probably mount it with some metal wire or even elastic bands... but make sure to put a foam rim between fan and heatsink - lower your noise level

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>