To hot vs To Cold?

B_Bright

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2003
I've just run MBM 5 and the 3 sensors that I have show Minus 55, +61 and +89 (Celicius). It also shows one fan at zero RPM. Can I presume given the +89 that this sensor is for my CPU and I need to replace CPU fan. ONe last thing, is minus 55 to cold.

All this info is provided I have MBM 5 set propberly :)

Thanks

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well mbm5 needs to be set a little different than that, those temps are wrong. unless using some vapochill, you're never gonna hit -55*C dude... the +61 might be your processor, since +89*C would destroy your chip and you'd be swearing at the computer by now. Switch around the settings and you'll see it should pick up more normal temps... also, maybe your fan doesn't have rpm detection, thats why its not pickin up

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
sounds like it's not reading the temperatures right
AT ALL
not sure what the problem is, i have very little experienece with mbm5

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
MBM makes a guess as to what inputs are the temps and fan speeds. It doesnt allways get them right. You will have to fiddle around and find out which are the REAL values and which are just gibberish.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

B_Bright

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2003
Well thats weird because Sandra gives the same reading as MBM5........man I wish for the good old days when PC techs changed less than $50 an hour and than I would get a professional to look at this.....

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well look, as long as there aren't any stability issues there's no real problem - besides, I can GUARANTEE you that your CPU isn't running at -50*C or +150*C, but most likely in the 45*C range you had mentioned as the third temp.... and I seem to remember the "good old days" when techies charged $100 and more per hour... heh... besides, bring it to me, I only charge $15 ! Now there's the matter of getting to Montreal Quebec, ;)

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
MBM is bit crazy... unless U cool with Nitrogen...
-55 I have no idea what this monitoring unless it is northern russia in mid-winter...
def. more 61 degrees C likely your CPU...
89 degrees C is too hot for your CPU... the term 'fry an egg' would be apt for this... could this be the Sahara in summer ???

Sandra usually guesses better than this...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
What motherboard are you using? It's not an MSI motherboard per chance is it?

The only reason I ask, is with my new motherboard I too have several of these sensors giving -55C etc. I shall work on some screenshots eventually!

My mobo: <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=313&MODEL=MS-6566E" target="_new">MSI 845E Max (MS-6566E)</A>

<b> ====
Basmic</b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not certain but -55 & +89 may be the minimum & maximum values that MBM will display & could well have absolutely no bearing on actual temperatures...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

svol

Champion
Looks like MBM is displaying some bogus temps (readings from sensors that don't exist or aren't functionel). The best thing to do is to see if there are more sensors you can select from under temperature settings in MBM 5. If there are several test them and see if others give you more sane temps.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: