Hard Drive Corruption

rahvyn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hi all;

Well, I did it. Corrupted my harddrive. I kept getting messages that Windows didnt have enough room to update a whole bunch of files. These would appear after the Windows splash screen, when the log-in box would appear. Couldnt get past them. Had to re-format the drive, which really sucked cause I lost a lot of data. I have no clue what caused it, other than raising my FSB past 179X12.5, which was stable for over a month, to 12.5X182. Dont understand it. My stats are posted below:

AMD XP 2400+ 12.5@182 at 1.825 VCore
1024 GB Corsair XMS LLPT PC3200 @ 4 2 2 2 at 2.8V
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro @ 350 / 650
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo - 1002.a Uber BIOS
Windows XP sp1

2 intake fans
3 exhaust fans
Thermaltak Volcano 9 on CPU
Vantec Iceberq on Northbridge
Added HS on Southbridge
CPU temp 43C idle, and 47C under load, temps from sensors between heatsinks and chip
Northbridge runnin fairly steady at 34C, temp also from sensor

Voltages:
12V - 12.672
5V - 4.865
3.3V - 3.296
These voltages are from AsusProbe

Other than raising the FSB, the only other mod I made was to add a HS and fan to the northbridge. My temps seem to be fine, I have a sensor between the HS and the northbridge chip. I have since dropped my FSB back to 179, and Memory Voltage to 2.7, as well as reloading Windows XP. I am truly lost as to why this happened, and why I cant get a higher FSB. I have a new power supply ordered from newegg, Antec 430W TruePower. Hoping this helps. If anyone has any ideas, please share em.

Thanks,
Rahvyn

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
To me, it sounds like your hard drive corrupted because your PCI clock was too high. It isn't very safe to go any more than 9 or 10 megahertz (not ddr) higher on your FSB speed, because of data loss just like you described. I think a lot of people go higher than this, but it isn't really SAFE. I'm betting your motherboard doesn't allow you to lock your PCI bus at 33 MHz.

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.

svol

Champion
I think I know the cause... if that 4 in '4 2 2 2' is the Active To Precharge (Tras) timing... it is best if you leave that one to 6T if you go above the 166MHz FSB. 2.8V for your memory is also a tad high... it should do 200MHz 2-2-2-6 1T with default voltage.

But most times you get data corruption with a too high PCI-clock... although there should be an option on your baord to lock the PCI/AGP bus speeds.

If you can tell me which memory latency timings you got (CAS, RAS, etc) then I can help you choosing the best for your memory (I got the same memory type).

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

rahvyn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
These are my timings:
Active Precharge Delay - 5
RAS to CAS - 2
RAS Precharge Delay - 2
CAS Latency - 2T

Memory is running in sync at 100% with the fsb, which is currently at 178, and set at aggressive. The vdimm is at 2.7.

Thanks

svol

Champion
All timings look OK except for the Active Precharge Delay. I read in several places that above 166MHz FSB you need to set it to 6 instead of 5. Setting it to 5 could give data corruption and the performance difference between 5 and 6 is as good as zero.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

rahvyn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Ok, will change that to 6. Heh, would like to try uppin the fsb again, but half scared of corrupting my hd again :/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe this might be the first time I've heard of such a thing where it didn't involve a VIA chipset, congratulations!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
The board in this machine is VIA, and it's been one big headache after another. Its an Asus CUV4X-D. It took Via 6 months to get an AGP driver to work with my GeForce 3 Ti 500, so I was sitting here with a vid card that I couldn't use for that long!!

svol

Champion
I speak from experience to... and I must say I like the KT333 chipset. But yeah, the first AMD chipsets of them kinda sucked (KT133(A), KT266)... and if I needed a new mobo at this mobo I would surely buy a nForce2.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
The PCI clock is not adjustables on an Asus A7N8x. It either has to do with to high of an fsb or the ram is clocked too fast.

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1561 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>

TRENDING THREADS