Sign in with
Your question

Constant PC BSOD/Freezing while playing games

Last response: in Video Games
November 18, 2012 2:30:40 AM

Hey, I have recently been experiencing a rather annoying issue with my pc. It started after I downloaded and installed Catalyst Control Centre to speed up the fan of my overheating graphics card (Idling at 80 degree Celsius).

I have now given up on trying to fix my graphics card so I went out and bought a brand new graphics card in the hope of solving my issue. It did solve the issue of my pc randomly shutting down however I am still experiencing a severe freezing problem, in which the screen freezes and wont change (I tested it for a few hours) so I am forced to shutdown manually. Sometimes when the screen freezes it will make a noise then it will change to the BSOD. (Often Stop:101)

It is really odd because I use to be able to play these games with no issue what so ever.

I have tried the following:
CCleaner (Registery Cleaner)
Memtest (I ran it over night, for 10 passes)
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test (Incase of HDD issues)
System Restore (Before I installed CCC)
Bought a brand new graphics card (Asus 7770)
Prime95 (However after about 5 seconds of starting my whole PC freezes)
Removing One stick of ram (Looked like it worked for about 2 days, but didn't)
Intel CPU Stress Test (Whole PC freezes after 40 seconds)
Applied Arctic Silver thermal paste (Didn't change anything)

I am absolutely stuck I have no idea whatsoever.

Specs:
Graphics Card: Asus 7770 (1 Day old)
Processor: AMD FX - 4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 MHz
HDD: ST310005 24AS SATA Disk Device
Motherboard: M5 A97
RAM: 8GB (Cant find the name)
PSU: 500 Watts

Everything is less than 5 months old.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2012 9:29:43 AM

go into bios and the ahci menu and make sure that the high precision event timer is enabled and set to match your o.s (64 for 64bit) some bioses only need it enabled...
1s done reboot and load up windows then go into power saving and put it on high perfomance which gives the cpu 100% usage with a minimum usage of 5% (use the advanced settings).
then run prime 95 to see if your cpu and memory is stable, allow 8-10 iterations for the first test. if it passes you can assume the pc is stable to play a game. if when you play a game and you crash again you may want to fresh install to make sure you got rid of all the old drivers and you reset the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) reason for this is your o.s will still try to load nvidia drivers when you swaped out the old card(if it was nvidia). if it was ati then its unlikely you need this step.
m
l
November 19, 2012 9:01:24 AM

HEXiT said:
go into bios and the ahci menu and make sure that the high precision event timer is enabled and set to match your o.s (64 for 64bit) some bioses only need it enabled...
1s done reboot and load up windows then go into power saving and put it on high perfomance which gives the cpu 100% usage with a minimum usage of 5% (use the advanced settings).
then run prime 95 to see if your cpu and memory is stable, allow 8-10 iterations for the first test. if it passes you can assume the pc is stable to play a game. if when you play a game and you crash again you may want to fresh install to make sure you got rid of all the old drivers and you reset the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) reason for this is your o.s will still try to load nvidia drivers when you swaped out the old card(if it was nvidia). if it was ati then its unlikely you need this step.

Thanks for the reply, I am having trouble finding the ahci menu as my bios automatically goes into ASUS UEFI EZ Bios, I change it to advanced however I can still not find AHCI or High Precision Event Timer.

EDIT:
I ran Prime 95 again and found this:
[Tue Nov 20 17:35:44 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 3.689270750547794e+020, expected: 3525840537421099
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2.102089499374552e+017, expected: 2.100491727589196e+017

Then my pc froze again

However I can not find the stress.txt file.
m
l
!