Wondering if anyone bought Inno3D cards? (HSF)

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Im thinking of popping out the fan & replacing it with something else. My 3D card is an Inno3D GeForce4 Ti4200 w/64MB

1. How should i remove the existing HSF? I heard one can freeze the card overnight i the fridge & easily pop the thing out the next day, but then again, they said it was for ATI cards only.

2. What HSF fans will fit onto my card? Would a Blue Orb do? Should i free up 2 PCI slots for it too?

3. I also want the ability to measure the fan speed, as well as temperature. Does the Blue Orb have this functionality, or should i consider something else?

Thanks.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
easiest thing to do is just slide a credit card as close as you can, take a thin knife or razor blade and slowly slide it underneath the heatsink (After you've removed the pins holding it). rock it back and forth, work it well, then just yank the heatsink off.. should have some white paste all over it, clean it with some rubbing alcohol and cotton balls or q-tips and apply some new thermal compound (either artic silver or regular white paste).

as fer a new heatsink, the Crystal Orb is way better than the Blorb for only a couple of $ more... and no, you barely need the 1 extra PCI slot adjacent, don't worry. IF you really wanna mod, grab an old socket 370 heatsink and shove it on there with some thermaly conductive adhesives and you're set.

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Ok, so i take it GPU-card holes are standardized then (meaning i can screw-in any GPU-HSF on any GPU card without problem)? If not, then i should probably use thermal adhesive?

My main concern is whether a new HSF would be able to screw into the existing holes. What about temperature & RPM probes?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah, GPU holes are standardized, and like you said, if it doesn't fit you can always glue it on with thermal adhesive. But anyways, don't worry, the Crystal Orb for one thing fits on all graphics cards without a problem. Now about the temp and rpm controlls, as for the TT Crystal Orb, its plug is a 3-pin molex connector with rpm support, so you can always plug it into a motherboard fan header to know the rpm... as for temperature, its picked up through a temp-probe built into the graphics card, not the fan.

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
no prob dude