What do I need to upgrade my computer to a gaming computer?

malaycraft

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello, I've been getting these random fps drops when i play games like Dead Island, Black Ops 2, Skyrim and other stuff. I was wondering what should I do to upgrade/replace/add to my computer to make it in to a ultimate gaming setup. I just recently added 8 gb of RAM, 1 tb hard drive and a Nvdia GeForce GT 630 ghrapic card and from time to time my computer still lags. I'm new to all this upgrading and stuff so please do not insult me.

These are my computer specifications :-

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

8gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 tb Hard Drive

i5 2500k (i think i do not know how to check)

Not sure what else to put

I hope anyone of the members of Tom'sHardware can help me. If I put this in the wrong category please inform me so that in future problems I know what top post.

Thank you.

pauls3743

Distinguished
The E5300 is an LGA775 processor and a low end one at that. The GT630 is more of a media center graphics card than gaming graphics accelerator.

Bearing this in mind you are looking at some hefty upgrades, possibly even a complete rebuild.

Questions:-
1). What is your motherboard make and model? This will be the biiggest factor on whether we are looking at a feasable upgrade or rebuild.
2). What power supply do you have?
3). What is your budget? Obviously no budget means no upgrade.

malaycraft

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I'm really sorry I don't know whats the motherboard name is (like i said I'm not the best at this). And the power supply is 230V 5a 50Hz if thats what your asking. My budget is around $500 - $650, i know its not much but in my country its 1500 - 2000

malaycraft

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Here are the pictures

adyWBsJm.png

abyRE6bo.png

acfIuEFn.png

acmagm7P.png

abjwIKb3.png

abnlCnS7.png

acyfneoq.png

And my psu is PowerLogic Magnum 250

malaycraft

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Thank you very much for the link, I just post a reply to 13thmonkey about my specs

bubbles11

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I'd keep the HDD and the PSU (if it has at least 550W) and buy a cheap Ivy Bridge configuration :)
If you don't plan to overclock, go for the i5 3470 and a H77 mobo. The RAM, I'd go for some Corsair 8gb ones, the res on the GPU.

your ram is ok, its DDR3, I've not heard of powerlogic, so the PSU may need replacing.

so its new mobo, psu, cpu and gpu. your case will be ok. Have you got a budget?

You could replace the GPU with something decent, GTX660? which will be held back by the CPU until you replace it, but you will get some benefit from that.

the final build in the above post is good, BUT you do not need to buy the RAM, your current ram is compatible, i'd suggest therefore a 3570k if the extra 30-40 will allow you to do that.

malaycraft

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

$500 as in usd and I'll try to find that build because I don't wanna order anything online