djphatic

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002
Hi

A while back I upgrading my system gettin a new CPU/Mobo etc.. When i first setup the system I was having problems with the CPU temperature which is monitored within Windows using Gigabytes EasyTune4 program, as my motherboard is Gigabyte. After trying 3 different heatsinks & fans I decided to use the Heatsink & Fan which AMD had supplied, along with a 80mm case fan on the front bringing air in and a 80mm case fan on the back drawing air out. Only recently I am having heat problems again. The other day I felt that the top of my PC was hot, i checked the temperature of the CPU and it was at 65c, which it hasnt been for a while, at this moment in time its at 58c; the PC has been on for a while but i all I have done is surfed the net. Usually the temperatures were around 54c which i was satisfied with; the main problem i have is that the PC is on the floor so air cannot really get in from the front fan, im unable to put it on the desk as the monitor takes up all the room with it being a 21" TFT. I am thinking of gettin a new Heatsink & Fan and maybe some different case fans or make slight modifications to the case to allow better airflow. Although i dont know which Heatsink & fan to buy, I have looked at the Volcano 11, Globalwin FSP82 and Vantec Aeroflow which look like they can do the job but im not sure. I dont there to be much noise as well, at present its quite loud and would like to get it quieter (dont know exact noise level). Please could anyone help me out with what Heatsink & Fan would be best suited for an XP2000 with good cooling but not very loud and ne suggested case modifications i could make to make the air flow better for the case fans? I am also thinking of gettin rounded IDE cables too, would this make much difference and do the rounded IDE cables allow you to connect 2 devices because all the pictures ive seen only look like they have one connection or a device?

Any help is much appreciated.

DJ Phatic

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DJPhatic on 03/27/03 11:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My XP200 has the Volcano 11 on it with Manual control, if I want to, I cannot hear it over the noise of my other case fans
(whichever U choose, be careful with the install, I already broke my 1stXp2000 & board installing the Volcano, it is heavy...)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
The slk-800 or 900 is a great heatsink, as well as the ax-7. Each of these heatsinks is large enough that you can get a relatively quiet fan and not have to worry about the cpu having any problems.

nightswalker

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
I have a 2000+ that runs at 50C with the stock AMD heat sink. I dont have any case fans either. How much is your system temp? I am at about 32C, so there is an 18 degree, steady-state temperature differential. My room temp is about 25C (77F).

I have a geforce 4 mx, but there is a hole on the back of the antec case that lets the heat from the card release. Sometimes having both case fans in the front and back will make a major difference, because when i close that back hole, the temp goes up about 8C - which is about where you're at now. (also i'm clocked down to fbs of 100mhz rather than 133mhz)

On the other hand, if your differential is larger than 20C, you know there is a problem with the heat sink.

Feel free to disagree