Your question

Symptom of overclocking?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2003 7:54:18 PM

Hey all

Lately, my system has been crashing to the desktop in this one game I have.

I DO overclock my hardware, but this seems to only happen in one game I play, and not others. It really doesn't happen much on my system that I don't overlock, so could this be it? I've tried lowering my FSB steadily (my temps are fine, about 46-48 celsius under load), and my video card is about 15 degrees lower than it used to be, because I have an intake fan mounted on the side of my case blowing directly onto the video card (I used to burn myself on the back of the card, but now it's as cool as all the other components).

What's up? Voltage issue? I have an Enermax 450W PSU, and like I said, I'm on the same circuit as the other computer that has no problems. It could be that my motherboard is a little messed up, because in my BIOS it reports 1.75 and in HMonitor, it says 1.79 for both my core and aux.

What is this? Does someone know? My other games are fine, it's just this one. Should I just give up and try the software's developer?

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2241Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

More about : symptom overclocking

March 28, 2003 8:35:04 PM

Your BIOS reports a different vcore voltage than HMonitor because the voltage regulators arent very accurate. I have my vcore set to 1.6, but even in the Hardware Monitoring section of my BIOS it reports it as ~1.69, same for Asus Probe.

you didnt mention what game you were playing? the problem may not be hardware related at all.

Long live ATI.
March 28, 2003 8:43:57 PM

Yeah, I suppose I should have done that.

"Operation Flashpoint", both Cold War Crisis and Resistance.
It's completely random. Sometimes in the middle of a game, sometimes a few seconds into, sometimes not at all, sometimes when playing multiplayer, sometimes not, I just can't for the life of me determine exactly what causes it. Sometimes I just climb into a vehicle, sometimes I'm flying, sometimes I'm shooting someone, sometimes I'm sitting there typing a message to someone. It's all over the place and it keeps me from enjoying this awesome game.

I suppose this is most likely the wrong forum for this. Oh well, if someone here knows what's up, TELL ME!!

A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
Related resources
March 28, 2003 10:06:05 PM

is your system prime95 stable?
<A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm" target="_new">go here</A> to download it
install it and run the Torture Test for an hour at least
if it crashes (gives you any type of error) then your system is unstable and that's the cause of your problems
it could be that only that one game is stressing your processor enough to bring out the problem
prime95 will stress it this hard too

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>
March 31, 2003 1:20:27 AM

I wasn't. I got an error right at the start. I ended up having to change to 189x11 (but I got to lower the voltage at least).

I'm getting an SLK-800 sometime this week, and then we'll see if I can break the 200x12 barrier that's currently daunting me. I really, really hope I can get to 2400 Mhz on air cooling. I REALLY REALLY HOPE!!!!

Thanks for the idea about Prime95. It's now my one tried and true stability tester. It rocks.

A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
March 31, 2003 2:50:25 AM

memtest86 is another one to test ram stability
sometimes the cpu is aight, but ram isnt
if you press c-2-3-1-2-0-space it will enable cache for all tests and therefor test cpu cache as well (sometimes this detects errors where prime95 is good for 24hrs even)
March 31, 2003 4:35:13 AM

I too have found that certain apps and games show instability where nothign else has problems.

take my cpu, XP1700+ @ 1650Mhz @ 1.600v
stable for everything EXCEPT UT. crashes constantly. For UT to run flawlessly i have to significantly bump the core voltage to 1.65v.
strange but true.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>
!