FPS Low - Am I Missing Something?

I have a PC with the following specs.

AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9600
ASUS M4N78Pro Mobo - With Latest BIOS
7 Gigs of RAM
ThermalTake 850 Watt Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional SP 1
NVIDIA 660 Ti

I am trying to run PC games but find I need to put them on lowest settings just to get 25 -35 fps in low activity settings. In high action or any detailed environment, the FPS drops so low (sub 19 FPS) that I get motion sick.

The game I am trying to play (mostly) is World of Warcraft (MoP). I have tried other games with my Steam Account and even titles from Humble Bundle get choppy and suffer the same issue.

The "Recommended" system requirements are:
Recommended System Specifications

Windows 7/8 64-bit with latest service pack
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
4 GB RAM

Does my system not meet this criteria?

I have reinstalled Windows, updated the service pack and OS, updated the NVIDIA Drivers, the Mobo Drivers, disabled the onboard Graphics, disabled my antivirus and shutdown any background services that I could see running.

I don't know what it might be. I had a gaming laptop that recently went DOA that at "Good" settings, I could move about in Stormwind and get 70 FPS.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about missing something
  1. Forgot to mention/Specify:

DirectX 11
    64 Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1
  2. What addons are you running? Did you try disabling them?
  3. Sunius said:
    What addons are you running? Did you try disabling them?

Nothing out of the ordinary. I have disabled all my addons and still only marginal improvement. The biggest culprits were skada/recount but even those only gained me 2-3 FPS. The main concern is other games that don't have addons have this issue.

Really bugging me as I see people playing with similar rigs on YouTube at max settings for various games and I have never been close to running that.
  4. Could you give examples of such videos and games?
  5. Sunius said:
    Could you give examples of such videos and games?

Call of Duty
    Psychonauts
    GTA
    Limbo
    World of Warcraft

To name a few
  6. Let's take call of duty. What kind of performance do you get at what settings, and what do you expect to get?
  7. Best answer
    Phychonauts and Limbo should be fine. Your problem is your mobo+cpu combination. You have a giant videocard and a tiny CPU. Your GPU cannot perform as it should because your CPU can't process all of its information (aka bottleneck).

Changing your CPU+Motherboard would fix your performance issues.
  8. X4 Quad Core 9600 bottlenecks the 660 ti, switch for a : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Or it could be the onboard graphics is the primary graphics (which is the 8300 geforce) so check the bios.
  9. Best answer selected by Karbonyte.
  10. Hey, just to say you don't have to buy a Crazy I7 CPU with 8 cores to run these games... I'd say an average (medium-high) quad core on rebate (maybe mobo + cpu deal) would do you some good. Check out newegg, amazon or similar sites for deals and you might end up with something that'll match your awesome videocard.

Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming FPS Video Games Product