Black Ops 2 Random FPS Drop?

airborne101st45

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hi,
I bought Black Ops 2 on Steam and only downloaded the multiplayer. My FPS randomly drop when in a game and changing the settings doesn't help one bit. When the game starts I have around 70-100 FPS and like every 5 seconds it drops down to 10-20 and then goes back up to 70. I can max out any other Call of Duty game.
I changed the settings to the lowest value and it did absolutely nothing.

I have no performance issues in other games. I can perfectly run BF3 using high settings in 1080p resolution, I can't run it using ultra because of my processor.

The issue is not overheating since my GPU never goes over 50 celsius while playing Black Ops 2 and my processor never goes over 60 celsius.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD PHENOM X2 3.2GHz
GPU: GTX 670 GIGABYTE OC
MEMORY: 4GB's DDR3 1600MHz

Even though Black Ops 2 minimum system requirement for the CPU is, AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz, I am confident that I should be able to run the game perfectly.

as above the game is very poor on pc perfomance wise. i dunno why because its the old cod 4 engine with a few patches. your phenom may well be a bottleneck but the cod engine only uses 2 cores this iteration may use more but i doubt it.
you really do want to max out your settings and that should alleviate the fps droop. you will reduce the upper limit but if it is a bottleneck then the lower limit should also rise due to the gpu producing less max fps... then 1s done try using vsync this again will lower your max fps to 60 but should help stabilize the lower fps.

i know this sounds counter intuative but really what your doing is increasing the load on the gpu which can in some cases reduce the load on the cpu. because the gpu is working harder it produces less frames per second which in turn frees up some cpu cycles. as long as the cpu doesnt max out to 100% the game should play smooth enough to allow multiplayer.

airborne101st45

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Hi, I am running Windows 8. I already updated to the newest drivers yesterday but sadly it didn't help.

Hi, I tried using Vsync but that didn't help, I also enabled the option to limit FPS and I tested both 30 and 60 fps. Sadly, this didn't help. I am running with all settings maxed out and 1080p resolution, I tested with other settings too but nothing seems to help. Should I wait for a patch?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I could tell you a million things to try but realistically, this issue will probably go as they iron out the performance issues in the game. These slowdowns are common (even on super high end rigs) so don't concern yourself just yet. In your case, although you CPU will eventually be fine, it's currently making things look worst than what most people with higher rigs notice.

i.e. I have an I7 3770S CPU OC'ed to 4ghz+ and the game occasionally bottles up (frames drop for a second or so to 20FPS and then goes back up). It's likely the code has some bottleneck where all calculations ends up on the CPU. These issues usually take a few weeks to iron out (due to patch testing). We're all hoping this be very soon : )

3arc

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I believe this problem is the game, Activision Support at one time said he is working on patches ASAP, I am contacting the two months since I bought the game (27/11/12), and I always roll with answers saying it's my computer or one hour speech that needs patches, by the way is wait patch. Here is the problem in some areas of the game, the FPS is normal 80-70 and 100, but neither has areas with minimal settings with 800x600 40-30 FPS, CoD players are aware that FPS is 40-50-30 unplayable. But in other areas of the map is the standard FPS, I just enter the area that bugged FPS drops, if enemy there, the hill, I'm prestige master, KD 2:07;'s always played Call Of Duty since CoD4 and never had problems as I'm having with this CoDBO2, s. I recommend contacting Activision Support, so more people will show up with problems, and finally after complaints here and there as BO1 come with a patch o /