too hot 2000+

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
My friend has a palamino XP 2000+ on a A7V266-E mobo with the stock HSF. The problem is the CPU temp is always at around 60C at idle and at full load shoots up to 71-72C. We underclocked the CPU to run at equivalent to 1800+, still the temp wudnt come down. Even though the Vcore is set at 1.6V in the BIOS, the ASUS Probe shows it to be 1.86V. Is this the cause for the over-heating temp? And is the Power Supply Unit the culprit for this over voltage?

Apap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The vcore does seem a bit high. Yes that may be the culprit. Some mobo monitor programs are not all that accurate. What does it read in bios?Case temps also factor in as well. You may want to check on the thermal interface material,does it have goos paste or sticky pad? If it has a pad clean it off the heatsink and core and apply a thin layer of good paste.

system spec or witty quote , still thinking.....

Nexus_7

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
Hehe, is the fan blowing the right way? That is down over the HS. I had mine installed the wrong way at first. Booted, looked at temps, and said, "WTF." Then I looked in the case and noticed the fan spinning the wrong way.

svol

Champion
Double check the jumper settings and see if the motherboard is set for Palomino CPUs and not for the old Durons and T-birds.

Your VCore should be 1.75V.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
tnx, svol. i'll check the jumpers....btw, how do u connect the Dual PSU? i already am running a 500W (True Power = 422W) PSU and have another 250W PSU lying around. Ever since i saw ur line, i have been thinking to go your way :smile: tnx again

svol

Champion
Cool, I like it when my sig inspires people (my most famous sig was 'My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground'... it has been sig of the 'week' for 3 months).

It is not difficult to connect two PSUs with eachother and make them start at the same time. All you need to do is connect the power on wire (green) and its nearest ground (black) on the second PSU with the power on wire and ground of the first PSU which is connected to the motherboard. This should be enough in most cases but sometimes you need to connect the power good wire (grey) of the second PSU with the one of the first PSU.

The biggest problem is finding a case that fits for 2 PSUs. I just modded my big-tower so I could mount a second one inside. My first PSU powers my motherboard and 4 HDs and my second PSU my fans (14 of them) and my 2FDs and my CDROM, DVD and CDRW... talking about a filled up case.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
4 HDD, 2 FDD, 14 FANS!!!??!!! u run a super-comp or something? with 14 Fans, ur mobo and CPU shud be well below freezing!!!! :wink: what r ur PSUs Power rated? both are similarly rated?? Please dont mind asking u here coz i dont want to make a new post elsewhere and worry if u'll follow it up... :smile:

svol

Champion
No not a super-comp... just an insane hobby PC.
Both my PSUs are rated 350W... the Enermax is running my mobo and HDs and the (crappy) Codegen does the rest.

Keep in mind that I have 14 fans and watercooling... luckily my fans are temp controlled by a DigiDoc 5 so only 8 fans run constantly... I will soon add the 15'th fan.

I have both a 3.5" as a 5.25" FD... but I never use the second one. It is just inside my case to make it look nicer.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
hehe..Yeah, its my ftp/web server. It's in a generic midtower case at the moment, but I've got a Lian Li PC-76 sitting here waiting to be it's new home.

svol

Champion
That explains the insane amount of HDs. How where you able to put 8 HDs in a miditower?

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.ravaz.net/ravaz/computerpix/xpcbox_10_bay.htm" target="_new">XPCBoX</A>

It's jam packed right now, and weighs a ton, but I never move it (just use it as my footrest :smile: ) The extra fans to make up the total of 22 come from the PSU fans, CPU HS Fan, and a couple HD coolers.

I needed a case quick and relatively cheaply at the time, so I snagged this one for $27 (with generic 450W PSU) off ebay and put an Antec True 550W PSU in it. It's actually not that bad of a case for only $27 with a junker PSU. I keep the PSU around as a spare in case I'm ever in need.

svol

Champion
Holy peeperdepeep... that case has a lot of fan holes. And I bet you use a couple of 5.25" bays for HD bays.

I can understand that it weighs much with 8 HDs... my own system weighs a ton too, but I placed some small wheels underneath it to make it more mobile. Although it still is a pain to move because I've got my watercooling standing beside it.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Yeah I've seen your rig and would hate to have to move the SOB. The thing is huge! My new serve case, PC-76, has wheels on it, but it will be pretty much stationary as well. I'm just waiting for the damn Canterwood's to come out so I can build my new machine and shuffle my boards around.

svol

Champion
Sounds like you got big plans.

Yeah... that thing is a PITA to move. Normally I move the PC downstairs to mess around with the hardware, but now I have to do it in my bedroom. :frown:

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I'm talking to a friend of mine about building him a new rig. He's got a waterbed... Told him I'm going to use that as the resevoir! You should have seen his eyes bulge out!!! Hahahaha He's a total n00b so he actually believed me!

TRENDING THREADS